sharpening stump grinder teeth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alopa, whats with the notch in those? i have seen but not used the ones with the serrated(?) edge. Where do you get those from? Do you bend many?

was using some other chinese ones (non serated)they bent but were ok for $1 each,these work good IMO $5 ea

i am mechanically sensitive, but pumping grease daily seems like a problem, the old saying are the best if it ain't broke don't fix it...a bit of grease now and then...with a keen ear...will go a long way....

Hey Trev, what sort of grinder you got?

This does OK but I wouldn't want to grind 2m dia mountain ash with it!

Lopa, those teeth (serated ones) I reckon they'll go well, but then again maybe the rocks and stones will chip that carbide off???

What's the little slot in them for? I bet they're for special pockets so they cant fly out. Like Vermeer teeth have.

Ekka, Ive got a Rhyscorp StumpHumper 1800D 18hp briggs, self propelled, manual swing, for tight access (28" wide) fits through a standard doorway and yes ive taken it through a few houses! And a Rayco 1625A with 25hp Kohler, full hydraulic jobbie for the bigger stuff. I dont think i'd get much use for anything a lot bigger due to access.

Alopa, where ya gettin ya $5 teeth from?

Trev

Rayco 1625 teeth

I buy from Border City Tool. 1800-421-5985.

I buy the "econo" teeth for about $60 for a complete set of all 18 teeth. What is great about these is that the carbide cutters are ground square instead of rounded on the tip, and they cut much faster with less drain on the engine.

They probably dull faster too, but I am happy with the life I am getting out of them.

Stump Teeth

I have a little bix re-tiping all types of teeth. I can do this for about 50% of what you paid for them. I will also buy worn superteeth or vermeer supers for my inventory. I gotta weird little web site I'm trying to put together. It's called www.carbidetufftooth.com If you want to get some quality teeth for cheap let me know. Jim

If you do chose to sharpen in house, do yourselves a huge favor and invest in a diamond cutting wheel. Cuts sharpening g time by 90%. You'll throw all your green wheels out the door

What me and a few other stump guys down here have done is quite the opposite. On our rayco 1625 machines, we have ditched the superteeth and gone to pockets & 1/2 inch standard teeth for the straights and just leave blunt bents on for counterweights. Sounds wrong i know, but we tested this and found the right depth setting (made a gauge) and it is awesome. Just replace the 6 teeth at $7ea when blunt. So a complete new set costs $42 compared to 18 X $24.50 = $441. Cheaper than the time spent sharpening superteeth, always at right depth (s/teeth get shorter as you sharpen em), cheaper than retipping. Havent bent one yet. And you wont believe me but it cuts BETTER. If you can be bothered, on a rainy day we might resharpen a whole bunch of teeth as spares. Like i said it sounds wrong but really works. And when you hit that hidden metal stake or lump of concrete you wont be nearly as upset as if you just spent $440 on a set of superteeth. I get 10 sets for that much!!

Trev
(I feel a bit like Treeminator telling people how to save money!!!):monkey:
Where do you get the pockets and standard teeth

Back