Shaver Improvement Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brick in door

it may have already been said, but here is my spill....

i was able to place fire brick in the door of my shaver 165. i laid 4 on their sides and 2 vertically on top of each other to fill the cavity. the top bricks had to be cut/grinded to fit, which is fairly simple.

to get the brick into the door cavity i cut the two top brackets (i was able to leave the bottom ones intact) that hold the heat shield in place. after they were cut i simply pried the shield open (1/2") and slid the brick in. the spacing was perfect for the cavity/brick and after a few quick tack welds is was good to go. there was no need to place any supports under the brick on the bottom portion of the door. additionally the hinges are holding every thing just fine.

i felt that this was quicker for me than the concrete board and i have a 2" thick fire brick that will never neeed replacing.

like others i added an additional layer of R13 all the way around the unit as well as the digital thermostat and blower modfication.

i will try to get a few pictures up in the near future.

any thought or concerns are WELCOMED?????

Fire Brick

I installed mine this weekend. Does fit nice and tight. Should be another good Mod. Does anyone pull the heat exchanger in the furnace to clean? If so how often.

Thanks.

Like to hear your thoughts!!! going to shut the shaver down for 2 weeks but will keep the pumps running, will keep gas furnace on, temps will be in 20's- 30's here in ohio, do you think anything will freeze up since the pumps will still be running????

My guess - and it's just that - a guess, is that you'd be O.K. I let my shaver 250 go for a week a couple of Januaries ago for new years and it was still 85 degrees when I got home. Don't remember how cold it was out, but I'm in central PA if that helps. I loaded the firebox, cracked the damper plate on the fan on the back, shut the fan off and let the pump run. I was running it at 160F set point, so I would imagine if you ran it up higher, it may be better. I'm sure there's someone here that can explain the physics behind this better, but you're going to loose more heat, faster at the beginning because of the large delta in temps. The closer you get to the temperature of the outside, the slower you'll approach it. If you're gas furnace is on the other side of a heat exchanger I'd say you're golden.

No matter what you do, give us an update when it's over and let us know how you made out. Good info.

yes my gas furnace will be blowing through the heat exchanger, just never have left it go out in winter since 08 but was thinking it should be good, will keep you posted in 2 weeks

Back