Shaver positive post thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, after all the bloodletting, I said I'd start a positive post thread and here it is : So far, this thing burns anything. Its a dismal day here in NE Pa. and I threw some absolutely awful wood in at 0700 hrs this morning. One 10 to 12 inch junk pine was so heavy ( read wet/half rotten ) I had trouble lifting it and throwing in the fire.

That said I hope I don't eat my words at 1900 hrs tonight when I load her up for the night, or worse yet tomorrow morning. I mean there has to be a point of no return where this stuff wont burn.. just havent found it yet.

:cheers: :cheers:

I loaded mine up with soaked, slimy, rotten pine that has been down for about tree years just to see if it would burn, and clean up. The fire is now roaring. I have been burning freshly cut hardwood, and initially seasoned hardwood, I don't notice any difference. Pretty sure I can shovel mud in this thing to burn :)

Man, I bet your neighbors love you! Nothing worse than rotten wood burning to stink up the neighborhood. My lazy neighbor burns nothing but rotten red oak in his stove, I can smell his fire from over 600 yards.

Man, I bet your neighbors love you! Nothing worse than rotten wood burning to stink up the neighborhood. My lazy neighbor burns nothing but rotten red oak in his stove, I can smell his fire from over 600 yards.

I live in the middle of the woods, no neighbors to speak of.

I have a 165 and wouldn't trade it. I like the simplicity and the fact that I can work on it and therefore fix it myself if needed.

For what I wanted the Shaver fit the bill perfectly!

:clap:

loving it!

I have to agree with you, anything I have thrown in it burns good. Big huge pieces of molded rotted pine, wet, green, you name it! It took about a month or so to work out the kinks, but I'm happy with the 165!

shaver

I also just love my 165 it burns any kind of wood that I have put in there. I just wish I would have bought a few years ago. :agree2:

Its a funny thing but I really dont smell anything different then when I burned the Dutchwest downstairs with well seasoned hardwood. Maybe my nose needs to be roto rooted...

:cheers:

man i love my shaver, i keep it going all year around. I burn pine, black gum, green wood, wet wood just anything. I love the heat. keep 2 to 3 windows open a little ways for some fresh air 70 dollars a month power bill no gas bill I dont care how much wood it burns because its free. just wished i would have put it in 10 years ago

Might be interesting to hear estimated pay back periods for these units. After all, that was a " positive factor " in choosing this unit. Obviously if you use oil its gonna be a bit longer than originally planned but not having to bend over for the Arabs cant be measured in dollars and cents. At todays prices I'm figuring 4 years tops, less if oil resumes its idiotic climb.

Do we have to have a separate " bailout " to help the Arabs ? :angry:

:D

I'm looking at 2 to 3 years tops to be in the black and can't wait. I was using propane as fuel.

4 years should cover it for me, 1200 gallons of fuel per year vs. wood I pay nothing for.

oil is down to $2.15 today $2580 in oil per year, I've got almost $10,000 into my OWB system.

I see a pattern of 3 to 4 years for most folks. Since the Shavers are less expensive than other brands, wonder how the others stack up as far as payback is concerned.. Mine happens to be around 3 to 4 years and the only way I care about the price of oil is when I pull into a gas station...

** going down the back every couple days and getting junk to burn. Saving the good stuff for Jan/Feb

:greenchainsaw:

4 years should cover it for me, 1200 gallons of fuel per year vs. wood I pay nothing for.

oil is down to $2.15 today $2580 in oil per year, I've got almost $10,000 into my OWB system.

One important thing that I forgot to mention and has a tremendous impact on my payback: When I was burning oil, my thermostat was at 63*, now it's at 74*. There is a lot to be said for comfort, must be worth at least minus 1 year on my payback :)

By the way oil has dropped to $1.95 now. I'm considering filling my two 330 gallon tanks, which no doubt would add that year I subtracted for comfort back on. :cry: Just can't win :)

two full tanks should last me 6+ years of summer time hot water :)

Last edited:
If you want a warm fuzzy feeling, just think of the Arabs scrambling like rats trying to think of ways to keep the world economy going. Since they were at the crux of this problem to begin with it warms my innards every time I throw some logs in the OWB. I'm not a vengeful person but I'd kick'm while they were down if I could. :buttkick: :censored: I've only gone from about 66 to 70 degrees but my wife absolutely loves the fact she can just wash with hot water, the heat in the baseboards are going and she can run the bath w/out stopping for the water to get hot. Compliments of the lower ( and only ) 4 acres.

:clap:

Shaver worth the wait

I did some griping while waiting for my Shaver 165, my biggest concern was what would happen if I had a warranty concern. Well it happened and Shaver's response was awesome, the blower motor (made by Dayton) failed on Christmas, I emailed Shaver on Christmas day and they called me the next morning. They told me where I could get one and offered a refund or replacement (my choice), they also gave me tips on how to get along without it, which worked. The house and hot water stayed warm until I replaced it. They even called back to see if everything went okay.

The huge demand for OWBs right now, coupled with Shaver's excellent prices and firebox design caught them off guard. I hope they get through it okay. In that regard, my dad ordered an OWB from Heat Source One in August 2008 with a promised delivery in November 2008. Today is Dec 27, 08 and he hasn't laid eyes on it yet, so Shaver isn't the only one having build/delivery problems.

The best part is I'm not getting those $600 - $900 propane bills every 6-8 weeks. I don't know what propane is costing per gallon right now and I really don't care.

Stihl 025
Stihl MS 380
Stihl MS 390

I did some griping while waiting for my Shaver 165, my biggest concern was what would happen if I had a warranty concern. Well it happened and Shaver's response was awesome, the blower motor (made by Dayton) failed on Christmas, I emailed Shaver on Christmas day and they called me the next morning. They told me where I could get one and offered a refund or replacement (my choice), they also gave me tips on how to get along without it, which worked. The house and hot water stayed warm until I replaced it. They even called back to see if everything went okay.

The huge demand for OWBs right now, coupled with Shaver's excellent prices and firebox design caught them off guard. I hope they get through it okay. In that regard, my dad ordered an OWB from Heat Source One in August 2008 with a promised delivery in November 2008. Today is Dec 27, 08 and he hasn't laid eyes on it yet, so Shaver isn't the only one having build/delivery problems.

The best part is I'm not getting those $600 - $900 propane bills every 6-8 weeks. I don't know what propane is costing per gallon right now and I really don't care.

Stihl 025
Stihl MS 380
Stihl MS 390

Glad to hear you had a positive experience with warranty work. I too had excellent support the two times I called in with problems. The first time was for a blower, that a leaky union dripped on, and the second was because I couldn't get my Shaver to maintain temperature (turns out my extension chimney I added was clogged). Billy was very courteous and helpful, which makes me feel like I made a good decision choosing Shaver. Sure, there are things I've modified on mine, and plan to change in the future, but I do that with EVERYTHING I buy

Back