Shenandoah wood burner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me with a model on this heater? I would like to know the model and any info you could share. All I have to go by are these two pictures. Thanks guys!
799c759ef257bef875048e8c5a542f3b.jpg
175b8d6fa95c97f1b95653878b7adf0d.jpg

We had one just like that back in the seventy's or eighty's, don't remember a model no. Burned a lot of wood in it, If I remember right it would have enough coals left in it in the morning so all we had to do was throw a couple sticks in it to get the fire going. It was a pretty heavy stove.

It is in a little cottage at our church camp. I'm contemplating buying the cottage. I like that it has a woodburner since I'm a wood hoarder! Just didn't know anything about the Shenandoah wood burners. The place isn't very big so it should make the whole place toasty!

I think you will like it. It should also have a handle with it that is used to shake the geate in the middle to drop the ashes in the pan.

@PA Dan
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...g-shenandoah-wood-stoves.247464/#post-4662638

I've used one for the past 5 years to heat my whole house with. I have 1800 sq ft ranch on a full basement. The stove is in the basement and I can have the convenience of a walkout basement with a garage door. Bring my wood through the garage door near the stove, makes for an ideal situation. I grew up with a Shenandoah in the house my entire life and have seen 3 basic models. They dont make them anymore but you can still buy parts through various web sites if you start looking. As far as I can tell, Sierra bought the name and now provides some support for them. http://sierraproductsinc.net/shenandoah.htm

Heres a link for parts. http://sierraproductsinc.net/parts-shenandoah.htm

That stove is a R-75 (or R-77). The R-65 is a round barrel stove and square stoves are R-75 (or R-77). All of these series of stoves are basically bolted together sheet metal construction and have steel plates on the inside of the firebox that hold the fire bricks against the inner wall (thats the row of bolt heads you see on the outside of the firebox in the middle of the stove). The exception is the round stoves don't have a bolted in plate to hold the firebrick. They also made a R84 which was constructed from 3/16" plate steel and seam welded. Only difference with the R84 was it has a separate door for the as pan and the firebox. Im sure there are more than that even, I have not been able to find a very good source on online information on these stoves. I do know there were 2 different sized 60 series barrel stoves but the the 70 series square stoves were all the same firebox size. I know the 80 series had 2 sizes also, plus they offered the square 70's series with a sheet metal surround. Then at some point the offered them with catalytic converters too. I just dont know all the possible model numbers.

All of their stoves use the same size cast iron shaker grate (10-1/4" I believe) in the center of the firebox. Replacements can be found online with enough searching, just be ready to shell out about $200 for one. A good grate is key for the stove to operate properly. All of the stoves are considered a duel fuel stove and can burn either wood or lump coal. Some square stoves had the flue exit out the top and others had it out the side. They did offer a wood and a coal grate depending what you were going to burn but its very possible to mix fuels with either grate installed. The main difference was the coal grate has a drop center in it. All the stoves are fire brick lined and have a removable ash pan and a handle to "shake" (turn) the grate. If you go look at the stove you will notice that there is one main door to access the firebox and ash pan. On the door is a thermostatic air control that regulates the incoming combustion air. The thermostatic control is very useful in my opinion and allows the stove to maintain a fairly constant level of heating through the burn cycle. Its the one key part of the stove that makes it worth a damn, well, that and a removable ash pan.

Things to look for when buying these used are;
1) Condition of the shaker grate, good shape? melted hole through the center? any cracks?
2) Does the thermostatic air control work? (take a flash light to shine into the box that's around the thermostat to look if the flapper moves when you turn the knob)
3) Are the sides of the stove warped? (If yes, its a sign of overheating)
4) what condition are the firebricks in?
5) Look at the seams around the door, can you see any obvious gaps in the sheet metal, use your flashlight.

These are not very efficient stoves. In the worst parts of winter when its -15F and a north wind I can expect to fill my stove every 3 hours in an attempt to keep my house near 70F. It will pump out the heat! Into your house and up the chimney. They do not have a baffle in the firebox so you do lose a lot of heat out your flue. I think these stoves are great for what they are. They come up to temp fast, kick a lot of heat and are very controllable. If you want, I can post pictures of my stove later tonight.

Back