Shihl 038 magnum II parts help please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshallr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been given a 038 mag II that was damaged right after a top-end job. Need a tank & sprocket cover, bar & chain and ect. I have seen comments on this forum praising this saw.
This model is supposed to really run strong. To buy the parts new to repair it is well over $300. I can't see doing that. What I am hoping for is a hand in locating a whole saw for parts, running or not. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

marshallr

Good luck with it. I had an 038M for over 10 years. The rear handle was broken when a truck backed over it, and I didn't want to spend the money fixing it. I gave the saw to my employer (Davey Tree) with the condition that they fix it and I was the only one to use it as long as I worked there. They spent over $200 and a day's labor to fix it, and I ran it another year. I left that job 3 years ago and wish like hell that I had never parted with that saw. :(
If you give up on that saw for a measly couple hundred bucks, it will haunt you years from now when you wished you still had it. That saw will earn you hundreds of dollars on a good day. It would be a shame to abandon it for the cost of a day's work.

G'day,

Hold on to the saw, even if you cant do anything with it right away! Keep an eye on eBay for parts 038's, they come up pretty regularly. Get a copy of the parts breakdown list for the 038, it will show you the parts interchangability (is that a word??!!) between all the 038 models.
Parts List is # 0452 121 1323
Hope this helps, they really are a great saw, its worth fixing!
Cheers
Charlie.

Try Ebay, If you can grab a parts saw for $100 or so, your way ahead of the game. I wish I never sold my 038, whata creampuff.

marshallr, contact rupedoggy of this list. Look above @ memberlist. Mike has parts of saws for about every saw that ever had a tool cast.

Ebay would be a good bet,I sometimes see parts 038's go under $50. great saw,I love mine. anybody know what the difference is between magnum and magnumII?

Back