Shindaiwa 488 fuel line change...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namsag

Reaction score
Hello, new guy on the forum here, I am not a professional, just a homeowner with a lot of ground to take care of.

I have a Shindaiwa 488, about 10 years old, it has always been reliable and given great service. Today when I was changing the fuel filter, I saw that the fuel pick-up line has about had it and needs replaced. It does not seem intuitive to me how to get it done. I did some searching but I guess I am a poor searcher. I thought I had it when I saw this thread title

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/shindaiwa-fuel-line.196207/

but it turned out to be short on the particulars.

Can anyone direct me to a set of online instructions, or walk me through the process? Like, so a feeble-minded individual could get it? Any help/advice appreciated. Thanks, namsag.

The fuel line is connected to the left nipple on the carb looking from the back. Fish the fuel filter out on the tank with a hooked piece of wire or forceps.
Remove the filter from the fuel line.
Remove the fuel line from the nipple on the carb.
I'm thinking you shouldn't have to remove the carb.
Pull the fuel line out from the top by the carb.
Put new fuel line into the hole by the carb. You may have to cut the end of the fuel line at an angle to get it started.
Pull the fuel line through the tank with forceps or needle nose pliers.
Pull far enough to where one of the ridges on the new fuel line pulls through the opening to form a seal.
Reconnect to carb and put on fuel filter.
daf75df0180926625444fe1c19a5ea6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much sir, exactly what I was looking for, will get on it soon as I get a chance!

Just saw this. I did mine last week. Definitely the trick on that saw is to pull the barb up from the tank. Don’t be tempted to try to push it top to bottom with a screw driver or you will very likely puncture it.

Back