shindaiwa chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shindaiwa

I was well guess I still am a dealer. Their dealer base is very small around here. Seem like a good piece to mee. Ran well and fairly tough. Have a 695 I still run until it sells. Most of what I sold is still going, and I haven't sold one in almost 10 years.

In my experience the shindaiwa 488 has been the most depedable saw I have seen. They are a well made, no frills saw that just keep running. The 377 is also an excellent saw, though quite pricey for its size, it is built like a pro saw. The 360 has a very good reputation around here as well. These three models are as good as anything out there in terms of durability. Locally the reputation of their larger saws is not so good.

Well I haven't had a chance to use their larger saws myself. I was just in at my local Stihl/Husqvarna/Shindaiwa dealer last week and got to talking with the shop foreman about the good luck we have been having with the 488's they sold us years back. I asked them why they didn't carry any of Shindaiwa's larger saws (they carry the 360,377,488). The foreman and the shop owner both told me that the larger saws just didn't have the reliability of the smaller saws and couldn't compete with the larger Husky's and Stihl's. They mentioned that the saws tended not to have enough cooling capacity, but nothing else in particular. I can get more info if there is a particular model that you are interested in, the shop foreman has always been real straight with me.

I ran a proto-type 757 Shindaiwa for over a year,before they were put on the market.It was a really nice saw.It had a few small problems with the chainbrake assembly and the gas cap leaked a lot. After they changed the brake a few times and came up with a new type of cap, I had no problems with it. I ran mostly 7 tooth sprockets but 8 tooth was still ok.I cut mostly 20 - 25 DBH Red / White Oak and used 20" bars. The saw was a really well built , smooth running saw. Over the years, the have made some changes here and there.and they are still a pretty nice saw.

Back