Shindiawa 488

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayseed79

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Are these saws worth putting any time into?I bought one to help out a friend and used it a little.Seems like it could have potential,any thoughts?

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Smoked alot i took the muffler off and cleaned it up and the piston looked good form what i could see...guess I will sharpen it up and see what it will do.

Nope, piece of junk. Send it to me for proper disposal.

:D

I don't have one, but it has a good reputation. If the P&C look good, it's money well spent to service it. Do a carb kit, muffler mod, and retune it.

If you can find an Oregon rim and drum that fits it, get it. It may fit one of the Echo drive rims from a saw in the 50cc range. Convert the saw to 3/8 low profile if possible and run an 18" bar. Cut the $hit out of everything you put it into.

Thanks for the pointers..heading to the saw shop in the morning to see what i can find

The 488 that I have was bought new in 1993 by a buddy of mine who used it to cut 3-4 cords a year for 15 yrs and then I got it from him. I used it a lot for another 5 years and then got into the older Poulans. Other than bars,chains and spark plugs that saw has never had anything go wrong with it, even still has the original air filter. IMHO it's as good as any saw ever made in it's class.

Pictures make it better...
5540c6a051cb3697c4ac77bcbae002d2.jpg
66beb6eb9e09151654e202af6f875101.jpg

One of the favorites in the Shindaiwa line up.
Had one out last week. Whatever you do, don’t put an HD air filter on it and post a pic of it on this
cbab9385b1c8b2e9936d44901ecf02d5.jpg
site unless you have thick skin.
7fae7f0bdd441b92255481fd2eb0c46e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
5972ad6ac6231b68d213bae976d387cc.jpg

Don't know about Alderman but I'm running .325 on mine. W hen I got it it still had the original narrow kerf bar and chain and I switched it to standard .325. It will pull an 18" B&C but it pulls a 16"er better. I don't consider it a big wood saw so if I need more bar I get a bigger saw.

I’ve got several 488s in the collection. I’ve run .325 and 3/8 on them and really don’t have a preference. And even a couple with the HD filter I keep hidden away for the foggy days when nobody can see me.
My preferred bar length is 18”, but I’ve done okay with a 20” bar if I don’t push them hard.
Like Big Dan said, they probably would do well with a 16” bar, but I’ve got so many smaller saws set up with 16” that I’ve never tried it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I picked up a 3/8 7 drive sprocket today to keep it simple since i dont have any saws that run 325.Bar for Husky 36 fits but the chain needs to be a link or 2 longer.

Back