Shipping chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I'm looking for the pro and cons from experienced shippers with the USPS, UPS, or FedEx as to the shipping costs and requirements for chainsaws. This is something that I have no knowledge of. I'm looking for ideas that will help me avoid damage while in transit

I have always shipped via USPS. I drain them, double bag in hefty bags. And pack tight with newspaper or whatever.
The "small" box from Home Depot fits most powerheads tightly.
They may charge extra for any box dimension over 12 inches but the small box is 18 inches and I've never had an additional charge.
It usually costs around $40 for 20lb package.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Fedex for me. Switched from ups as they were way more then fedex. usps I only use for parts as they are just to pricey for bigger boxes with weight to them.

Same box from OH to GA for a saw was 20 more if used ups. Why I use Fedex. Plus first 100 ins is free.

Had 2 saws shipped to me from MI to OH Fedex and had them in less then 24hrs this year. That was crazy IMO.

I used fedex with decent luck when I lived closer to Minneapolis. The problem up here is there are no safe places to drop packages and it’s not conducive to schedule a pickup as I’m not always at my workplace and there’s no secure place to leave the box. UPS picks up daily from the feed mill so you can safely leave packages in the door.

I did sell a couple saws to a guy who claimed to never have received them. FedEx tried to walk away from it and after several calls I asked them how they could possibly leave the package at the guys gate and not attempt delivery again. They processed my claim after that.

Fedex local lets you have boxes redirected to them and hold till you pick up there here. If you lived in town where such is things are worried about.

I always ask folks I ship to if safe for boxes to be delivered and left at their place if they wasnt home.

Fedex local lets you have boxes redirected to them and hold till you pick up there here. If you lived in town where such is things are worried about.

I always ask folks I ship to if safe for boxes to be delivered and left at their place if they wasnt home.
After that I’m very specific to ask people if they trust a package at their front door or if they want signature required. Cause if the shipping co shows it delivered to door then it’s almost impossible to get a claim.

The one saw I shipped, I shipped UPS as that's what we have easy access to at work and USPS specifically says no fuel containers.

My company does ~$150k/yr shipping with UPS, and we refuse to insure anything unless a customer specifically requests it. Our experience is that any money spent on insurance is money that's been thrown away, as they simply won't pay out on claims. If we think it needs insurance, we go through a third party insurer.

I used to base all my shipping on the employee benefits package/wages , because as we all know if the person who is doing the job isn't happy ....well.
I generally use UPS when I don't want the item destroyed, but honestly I can't keep up with who is screwing their employees any more.
Pack the saw like a full grow man is gonna stand on it.

Back