"Shooting undercuts" Tricks of the trade???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First you need to rev the piss out of it. Tip yer hat. Then close yer eyes and lay into her. When the cuts meet. Stop. Oh and try not to look like an arborist when doing it.
LOL. yeah know what people? there is a lot to be said about this! sure we will elaborate later ...maybe haha. ..but we don't ever know for sure.
It's a Dam 'felling' that comes with experience. I like what you say "shut your eyes" because it is a feeling

shutting your eyes is a key hint and so is "feeling" How would you do it with your eyes shut??? what would be your best chance be of marring up your cuts?
In all reality if you thought like a blind person , it would be easier.

Trust yer gun cut. Then make the face match it.

an easy trick at least on big wood is to dog in where the bar meets the gun cut, point the tip towards the lay, then angle it down for the slope bit, the saw will walk right around and meet up on the other side no problem.

Other wise, simply take yer ****ing time and visualize the cuts, stop every now and then and check yer progress on the off side, I still do this.

and stop when you are parallel with the gun cut and chunk out as necessary, if you've dutched it take the time to clean it out, even a small dutch can **** yer day up.

Use them dogs, its what they is for.

I always take a quick glance at my bar (visualize where its pointing) before I pull it out of the kerf, then I pretend I can see through the tree to the edge of the cut on the other side and line it up and let er rip.
Oh and the whole if you've done it enough you just know the feel thing too... but
Honestly I am doing more skidding now than cutting, so when I get on the saw after being off it a while I try to do what I first mentioned to get me back into rhythm.

Anybody who matches their cuts up perfectly every time please raise their hand.
Hello? Anybody?
Yeah, me either.
The trick is to be able to recognize that you've gone a little astray before you let it turn into a disaster. Trimming up a face or having to throw a chunk into the face is time consuming but it's better than having a money maker busted all to hell because it got away from you.

I always take a quick glance at my bar (visualize where its pointing) before I pull it out of the kerf, then I pretend I can see through the tree to the edge of the cut on the other side and line it up and let er rip.
Oh and the whole if you've done it enough you just know the feel thing too... but
Honestly I am doing more skidding now than cutting, so when I get on the saw after being off it a while I try to do what I first mentioned to get me back into rhythm.
I always take a look out the sight to whatever I picked to mash and see if I'm getting close after walkin round to check muh self then feel for the bump of the cuts coming together and the face falls out

Anybody who matches their cuts up perfectly every time please raise their hand.
Hello? Anybody?
Yeah, me either.
The trick is to be able to recognize that you've gone a little astray before you let it turn into a disaster. Trimming up a face or having to throw a chunk into the face is time consuming but it's better than having a money maker busted all to hell because it got away from you.
Yep, don't wanna splain to the bull buck why they gots tuh go to diamond match company. Had to put a chunk in a face just yesterday cuz I doinked up dumping a wood tree

best advice i ever got when dropping from a top cut to a lower cut is to not think. literally, from buried in top cut to making second cut in one motion. if you stop to think for even a second your ****ed. the body naturally has the angle but overthinking it results in mistakes. 80% of my undercuts just drop out, 15% need minor clean up, 3% are major clean ups, and the other 2% are absolute **** up i just dump to avoid making a totally unacceptable stump which of course i clean up best i can afterwards lol

I don't often give advice, someone might actually try it and find the deep end has no bottom.
I shouldn't without a disclaimer ticket somewhere to go along lol, that and I don't deserve to like most guys here as I haven't yet got the back uh my ears dry cuz most have earned their advice to give

What works for you? What advice would you give if you were breaking someone in? Foot work? Wrist work? starting points ect.?
I'd make sure they could join up the cuts on horizontal fallen logs docking them off first before progressing to something standing up, then give them some chalk lines on some high stumps to practice on, some saws are just mongrels to get used to, if I go from an old 076 to a ms660 it looks like I'm a beginner again, cuts out of level & cuts not joining up, there is something about the dynamics with those old saws which makes it easier.
Scratcheadski

Latest posts

Back