shop stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
450 is the out side of the stove. flue temp is about 350. Something I thought was strange is that the flue temp was about 50* higher above the damper. The damper is about 18" above the stove top.

Sounds like a nice warm shop to work in and bet much better once you get all the bugs worked out.

:D Al

Did you try the drip tonight?
Tried it yesterday, it seems to work ok. The wood it drips on seems to last longer. I think I will play around with it some more moving the drip location and maybe a piece of steel for the oil to drip on instead of the wood. I was thinking a trailer ball hanging over the fire.

The FIL has this in a sauna that is not being used anymore so I brought it home to my place for the garage.

19BC083A-EABC-4ACC-AED9-E520729F79DF.jpeg
It smoked to much for my liking so I added a home-aid secondary burn system to it.

1C0494A1-6221-44A5-A50C-72DF44851B62.jpeg 0C268D65-F11F-45F2-B41D-F2C1EC179696.jpeg 7715B19C-3154-4EC6-A49B-AEC1E607004D.jpeg

This is her all cleaned up and running. Hard to tell if the secondaries are working without a window in the door, but when up and running hard there is no visible smoke pouring out the stack.

The FIL has this in a sauna that is not being used anymore so I brought it home to my place for the garage.

View attachment 796261
It smoked to much for my liking so I added a home-aid secondary burn system to it.

View attachment 796262 View attachment 796263 View attachment 796264

This is her all cleaned up and running. Hard to tell if the secondaries are working without a window in the door, but when up and running hard there is no visible smoke pouring out the stack.
Is that galvanized duct pipe. Gives off toxic fumes when it gets hot .

It’s already burned off what is going to burn off. As a welder, I know of galvanic poisoning and actually got it one day welding on a boat trailer with the wind blowing at me.

it’s also the same gauge as the black pipe. It cost $5 and I could not find a 5” black pipe 90deg locally.

View attachment 796261

View attachment 796262 View attachment 796263 View attachment 796264

nice job on those secondary's, you can get a small piece of mica like I used so you can see in there.

nice job on those secondary's, you can get a small piece of mica like I used so you can see in there.

I like your mica idea, but I just can’t bring myself to cut a hole in this copycat Jotul 118. Even where the secondaries enter I took the cast piece out and cut a piece of 1/4” steel to drill the hole through. This way I still have the original.

Tried it yesterday, it seems to work ok. The wood it drips on seems to last longer. I think I will play around with it some more moving the drip location and maybe a piece of steel for the oil to drip on instead of the wood. I was thinking a trailer ball hanging over the fire.

I dripped oil into a Lincoln brand stove for well over 20 years and the guy that bought the place is still doing it. I used a dripper for Grainger part number 1U795 it a needle valve style with a sight glass. I dripped the oil into the top of the stove with sch 80 3/4 inch pipe cut at a 45 degree angle and would drip the oil on a old pickup brake drum. Once in a while I would have to clean the end of the pipe out but not very often. I always filtered my oil going into my holding tank and my tank set above the stove to keep the oil warm. You can cut your wood usage a bunch using oil and when its running right it doesn't smoke.

I’m still trying to fathom why not just let it drip on the wood. The wood would be like a wick on a old oil lamp. What’s the benefit of it hitting steel and vaporizing? I imagine the steel gets hot inside the stove so when the oil hits it, wouldn’t it vaporize? Does that vapor burn?? Just having a bit of a tough time.....

I believe that you get a cleaner burn. It would be like when you leave the wick to high on a oil lamp you get a bunch of black smoke. I am only a dumba$$ trying out different things. I did see that the oil dripping right on hot coals burn hot and clean, the wood seems to last longer to. But when its time to reload if you don't stop the oil I get a lot of smoke. I was thinking if I hang a piece of steel above the fire maybe I could keep a consistent burn going. Was also thinking being I have a blower pushing air to blow the heat that maybe I could tie into that air a make it a oil burner out of it. Burners with forced air seem to to be simple to make.

Back