Shop thread - you know where you do all your CSM mods and maitenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ancient One posted a few photos of his shop (DROOL!) so I thought we should have our own thread on this. You know where you service your CS's and perform your CSM mods etc.

Here are a few photos mine. We live on 6500 sqft about 1 mile as the crow flies from the CBD. Most of the block is taken up by the house but I managed to squees a 450 sqft shop onto the back. Besides we have two active dogs and have to leave some room for them.

I managed to still squeeze in 2 lathes, a mill, two bandsaws, a large belt sander 3 grinders a drill press, a welding/spray booth, table saw with router table extension, a 10" planer thicknesser and 7 chainsaws including the BIL mill. My Dust collector and compressor are outside in acoustically isolated enclosures as we have 5 very close neighbours so noise is a problem. The neighbours over the back has a spa right next to the back fence and I managed to get my noise levels down to less than his spa pump generates at the fence line.

As you can see I don't have a lot of space so can only work on small projects inside the shop. Larger stuff I do in the back yard. I use our outdoor table as a bench for a lot of larger projects.

IMG_3617p.jpg

The black cylinder that looks like it might attract the attention f "homeland security" is a natural gas powered forge/furnace.
IMG_3618p.jpg
IMG_3619p.jpg
IMG_3620p.jpg
IMG_3620p.jpg
IMG_3622p.jpg
IMG_3621p.jpg

IMG_3622p.jpg

This is my main woody workbench but its also where I strip down and service milling gear. I do a lot of work on electrical motors and the grey looking frame on the bench is a small dyno used to measure torque and HP of small motors (<4HP). The thing covered in grey canvas is the 10" planer thickener. Behind that you can just see teh BIL mll standing up and behind that is wall shelving with the 7 chainsaws on them.
IMG_3623p.jpg

As you can see I am big on dust extraction (not just for wood but also metal dust and fumes) This is because I have a health condition that may have been cause by dust and don't want to make it any worse
IMG_3624p.jpg

Oh yeah and I also have a small Electronics shop/desk inside the house.
IMG_3628.jpg

Ancient One posted a few photos of his shop (DROOL!) so I thought we should have our own thread on this. You know where you service your CS's and perform your CSM mods etc.

Here are a few photos mine. We live on 6500 sqft about 1 mile as the crow flies from the CBD. Most of the block is taken up by the house but I managed to squees a 450 sqft shop onto the back. Besides we have two active dogs and have to leave some room for them.

I managed to still squeeze in 2 lathes, a mill, two bandsaws, a large belt sander 3 grinders a drill press, a welding/spray booth, table saw with router table extension, a 10" planer thicknesser and 7 chainsaws including the BIL mill. My Dust collector and compressor are outside in acoustically isolated enclosures as we have 5 very close neighbours so noise is a problem. The neighbours over the back has a spa right next to the back fence and I managed to get my noise levels down to less than his spa pump generates at the fence line.

As you can see I don't have a lot of space so can only work on small projects inside the shop. Larger stuff I do in the back yard. I use our outdoor table as a bench for a lot of larger projects.

View attachment 719609

The black cylinder that looks like it might attract the attention f "homeland security" is a natural gas powered forge/furnace.
View attachment 719610
View attachment 719611
View attachment 719612
View attachment 719612
View attachment 719614
View attachment 719613

View attachment 719614

This is my main woody workbench but its also where I strip down and service milling gear. I do a lot of work on electrical motors and the grey looking frame on the bench is a small dyno used to measure torque and HP of small motors (<4HP). The thing covered in grey canvas is the 10" planer thickener. Behind that you can just see teh BIL mll standing up and behind that is wall shelving with the 7 chainsaws on them.
View attachment 719615

As you can see I am big on dust extraction (not just for wood but also metal dust and fumes) This is because I have a health condition that may have been cause by dust and don't want to make it any worse
View attachment 719616

Oh yeah and I also have a small Electronics shop/desk inside the house.
View attachment 719620
and just HOW, do you move around in there!!! other than carefully!!!!???????

and just HOW, do you move around in there!!! other than carefully!!!!???????
Hah, I agree especially I'm not what you would call small. There's very little room but is roomier than my old shop na d many of my local friend's shops. I'm limited in what I can make inside the shop but I usually make small stuff and bigger stuff gets made on the back patio.

This is "my end" of the shed I share with my father. Most wood work gets done outside under a lean-to so that it doesn't get too dusty in the shed. We have the issue of too many tools, not enough space to use any of them.

20170423_171734.jpg

I have a lean-to next to the barn. 40'x10' Over the 17 years it got quite full :)

I am going to stretch the roof out on the right side of the door and install my sawmill there, it will help with log handling and all.

Attachments

• KIMG3820.jpg
    KIMG3820.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 10
  • KIMG3821.jpg
    KIMG3821.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 10
  • KIMG3822.jpg
    KIMG3822.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 10
  • KIMG3823.jpg
    KIMG3823.jpg