Shopping for new stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harry I would second the Jotul 118 suggestion. It will handle 24" logs, is attractive and easy to use. They are not hard to find used.

That ws going to be my next project, checking Craig's list and the other sites. I have already been to my local dealer but he says it comes with door on left. I need it on the right. Somewhere else I stumbled on (and lost) info that Jotul does have a right hand door model.

Just judging from your picture, your hearth is ~40" or so front to back (assuming that is why you are looking at side loaders instead of front loads)
Keep in mind that most modern stoves have the flue connector on the top, that will allow you to scooch the whole thing back a bit (within rear clearance specs of course) and that may give you the room to make it all work with a front loader. That would sure open up your options!
I second streblerms recommendation, the Englander NC30 is a beast of a stove for a very affordable price, has very high rated users reviews, made in the USA, steel (durable), large firebox, and much more efficient than that Ashley, alot to like there..

Just judging from your picture, your hearth is ~40" or so front to back (assuming that is why you are looking at side loaders instead of front loads)
Keep in mind that most modern stoves have the flue connector on the top, that will allow you to scooch the whole thing back a bit (within rear clearance specs of course) and that may give you the room to make it all work with a front loader. That would sure open up your options!
I second streblerms recommendation, the Englander NC30 is a beast of a stove for a very affordable price, has very high rated users reviews, made in the USA, steel (durable), large firebox, and much more efficient than that Ashley, alot to like there..

If need be I would put down one of those prefab "hearth extensions". About decided to stick with what I have unless I turn up a real buy on a used stove. One of my concerns with the new ones is the ability to shut it down overnight. On mine I can close all drafts and a chunk will hold fire for 8 hours.

I have had a soapstone stove for 20 years, never had a problem with it. Don't let one dealer who does not sell soapstone tell you there no good, he wants to sell you what he has.

One of my concerns with the new ones is the ability to shut it down overnight. On mine I can close all drafts and a chunk will hold fire for 8 hours.

The 30 will go 8 hrs easily...most any stove with a firebox 2 CF or larger should...

Back