shorts and uglies to the rescue!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys break me up! :laugh:

What amazed me most was that the customer wanted a log count on the load in the first place. Here's an easier way to count the logs. For a regular load of 16" to 18" logs, it takes 14 contractor wheel barrow loads to fill the truck, mounded up. I can usually average 28 logs per barrow. so 28 x 14 = 398 logs per pickup load. Add a few more to be sure that 400 logs go down the road.

If I'm lucky, I might get paid 30 cents a log by the customer.

CT-p0001-ST.jpg

I've counted 2 cord loads before because I was delivering to 2 different places about 15 miles from home but right around the corner from each other. One trip and 2 delivery fees and unload the first cord by hand. Made sense to me.

I keep my splitter and unprocessed wood in a work area that is really meant for off street parking for 5 cars. I take my uglies and shorties and leave them somewhat stacked at the edge of the lot and advertise it by mouth as free wood for the neighbors outdoor fire pit. Keeps them from stealing my good stuff.

No doubt that uglies and shorties work great in an outdoor fire pit. But, November has been so cold that nobody wants to stand or sit outside burning uglies and shorties when they can stand or sit inside and keep warm while burning uglies and shorties in a fireplace or wood stove.

No doubt that uglies and shorties work great in an outdoor fire pit. But, November has been so cold that nobody wants to stand or sit outside burning uglies and shorties when they can stand or sit inside and keep warm while burning uglies and shorties in a fireplace or wood stove.
That's because you live in Nebrasky. I live in Murderland and as long as Global Warming cooperates we don't have it too bad.

My 9-yo son helped me yesterday cutting and hauling deadfall. I cut, we both loaded. He was diligent in picking up anything and everything. After the big stuff was in the truck, he went back and gathered limbs, stubs and shorties. "Dad, your saw touched these so it cost money - so we should make them pay us back with heat." I swear I said something like this like 3 years ago. I was impressed by the initiative, effort, and memory retention!

I must say when he called asking to borrow some wood he was a bit insulted when I told him no problem, I have a whole section with your name on it. I knew you would be calling someday, you lazy sob.
That's good stuff, there. I'm just finishing up my "shorts and uglies" pile. The next three days should eliminate it.

I did that only because the customer asked me to count them or at least come close on a count. I took the first row in the truck and multiplied times 5. To be sure that I was not under, I added more on top and mounded up the load to compensate for the wheel wells. You might have OCD. I don't.

Haha... You determined you had enough. Then added more to be sure. Then added yet more to be sure. Maybe not full blown OCD but definitely symptomatic. ;)

Even the short uglies need love ;) I love em all the time. 1.5 cord worth from last year. I box and bag them up and store them in the barn high and dry. Those locust and red oak chunks are great :)

My 9-yo son helped me yesterday cutting and hauling deadfall. I cut, we both loaded. He was diligent in picking up anything and everything. After the big stuff was in the truck, he went back and gathered limbs, stubs and shorties. "Dad, your saw touched these so it cost money - so we should make them pay us back with heat." I swear I said something like this like 3 years ago. I was impressed by the initiative, effort, and memory retention!
Bravo! That's usually my rule of thumb also. If my saw touched the chunk or the log, it's a keeper. That includes shorts, uglies, cookies, and anything I can carry that can produce a BTU. The only thing that gives me trouble is the stump anchored to the ground. I give that to the grubs and ants.

Latest posts

Back