Should I ask for a discount?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwoell14

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I operate a small tree service on the side. I have a MS291 and MS362cm, both bought brand new from the same dealer in the last 2 years. Now, I’m looking to buy a HT133 pole saw and a MS193t (over $1,000 total). If I buy both at the same time from the same dealer I bought my other saws from, would it be unreasonable for me to ask for a break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id say just pony up you arnt exactly up to bulk buyer status yet. We spend 10's of thousands of dollars at our dealer and don't question their price unless we are buying large equipment (chippers/ stumpers) they are our chipper, stumper, saw, and our climbing gear dealer all in one...

Feel free to ask don't get butt hurt when they say no

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

At least a free hat and t-shirt! My dealer usually throws in a gallon of chain oil , a litre of 2T and a spare chain when i buy a saw from him.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Update: Bought the new HT133 today. No discount or anything as a matter of fact.

Hoping it works out good. Reviews on this new model are mixed and not your ideal Stihl reviews.

A free chain is pretty standard when buying a saw. I get a discount but the company I work for buys bar oil And 2-cycle by the pallet. Occasionally they toss me a hat or t-shirt but that’s uncommon. The best way to get a free Stihl hat is to walk in wearing a husquavarna hat

Husquavarna huh? Haha

Husqvarna

It's pronounced husk - varna.

It's ok though. I've heard everything from hus-kee-vanna, hus-qua-vanna, husq-veronia.

Had a Homelite come in a couple years ago. Was a Hom-elite haha. I told him I'd never heard of that brand. He comes back in with an XL12. Ah... Home-lite!

I operate a small tree service on the side. I have a MS291 and MS362cm, both bought brand new from the same dealer in the last 2 years. Now, I’m looking to buy a HT133 pole saw and a MS193t (over $1,000 total). If I buy both at the same time from the same dealer I bought my other saws from, would it be unreasonable for me to ask for a break?

Dont buy the 133. Save yourself the trouble. Junk

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A free chain is pretty standard when buying a saw. I get a discount but the company I work for buys bar oil And 2-cycle by the pallet. Occasionally they toss me a hat or t-shirt but that’s uncommon. The best way to get a free Stihl hat is to walk in wearing a husquavarna hat

That’s nice. I didn’t even get a full tank of gas. They put about a 1/4 in, just enough to fire it up. No hat, T-shirt or chain. Actually, I bought a spare chain.

That’s nice. I didn’t even get a full tank of gas. They put about a 1/4 in, just enough to fire it up. No hat, T-shirt or chain. Actually, I bought a spare chain.

You can't expect a business to hand out merchandise. I go to the saw shop a lot, if they aren't busy I bs for a couple of minutes pay for my stuff and leave. I've never once expected them to give me anything, and I don't think I ever will.

You can't expect a business to hand out merchandise. I go to the saw shop a lot, if they aren't busy I bs for a couple of minutes pay for my stuff and leave. I've never once expected them to give me anything, and I don't think I ever will.

I guess I shouldn’t expect somebody to read the original post either. Nobody expected anybody to hand out merchandise. Just asked if it was worth asking for a discount if I purchased 2 new saws at the same time. No incentive to buy 2 at once so I’ll wait. I’ve heard other stories of oil mix, bar oil, chains, t-shirts, etc. Clearly it wasn’t that big of a deal since I bought the saw anyway.

I guess I shouldn’t expect somebody to read the original post either. Nobody expected anybody to hand out merchandise. Just asked if it was worth asking for a discount if I purchased 2 new saws at the same time. No incentive to buy 2 at once so I’ll wait. I’ve heard other stories of oil mix, bar oil, chains, t-shirts, etc. Clearly it wasn’t that big of a deal since I bought the saw anyway.

I read the post, I also read your follow up post, which I quoted above. Seems as if you were disappointed you didn't get any free stuff with your purchase. Maybe if you would have bought the 2 saws together you would have gotten a free shirt or hat, possibly a discount on future purchases. To a dealer a guy that comes in and buys 2 saws once isn't a big deal, the guy that buys 3-4 saws a year for 5-10 years is the guy that gets discounts and free stuff.

Stihl dealers do not exist to give away anything free. 300 has it right after you spend $10,000 a year they will notice. What you did not say is what will happen when you have a problem and take some thing back. I paid full price now make it right OK. That gives you a little assurance that might be worth some thing even though it is not free. Thanks

Guys, he just asked if he should ask for a discount. The answer, as it often it is, yes. I mean, why not? I don't hear any resentment or anything. It never hurts to ask.

When I bought my 261 last year from Canada I mentioned it to my local dealer. Mostly because I want them to tell Stihl that they're losing sales down here because they don't seem heated handles in the US. Anyway, The manager asked what I paid, which was very close the their sticker price for the same saw, without heat of course. The guy was quick to say that that's the sticker price,"but we can do a little better than that". And no, I don't do $10k worth of business there. I buy some files, some chains, and a case of bio oil there every year, plus hardware store stuff (it's an Ace hardware). Maybe the guy was full of it, but it reminded me to ask about it if I ever do buy a saw there.

I read the post, I also read your follow up post, which I quoted above. Seems as if you were disappointed you didn't get any free stuff with your purchase. Maybe if you would have bought the 2 saws together you would have gotten a free shirt or hat, possibly a discount on future purchases. To a dealer a guy that comes in and buys 2 saws once isn't a big deal, the guy that buys 3-4 saws a year for 5-10 years is the guy that gets discounts and free stuff.

Nah, wasn’t disappointed at all. It’s my 3rd brand new saw from that dealer in a year and a half. The 193 will be my 4th. Somebody mentioned that they get usually get a free chain with their purchase. I joked that I didn’t even get a full tank of gas, just enough to fire it up.

Nah, wasn’t disappointed at all. It’s my 3rd brand new saw from that dealer in a year and a half. The 193 will be my 4th. Somebody mentioned that they get usually get a free chain with their purchase. I joked that I didn’t even get a full tank of gas, just enough to fire it up.

Our dealer supposidly fills the tank normally with a slightly higher oil content mix, they run it a little bit, not entirely sure of their whole process since it's done b4 we pick it up, but it runs through up to a half tank. They say to run the remainder of the tank without adding more fuel

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back