Should I buy a professional saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
try a saw with better then 70cc,

Ya won't likely go back to the 028's or for that matter any 50-60cc saws for falling ever again. Especially if yer planning on getting any production done.
most of the timeworking on private propertys with people around me that have no experience with chainsaws so better not

most of the timeworking on private propertys with people around me that have no experience with chainsaws so better not
Um yeah thats my bread and butter, and I don't fall timber with anything less then 70cc, if you're the pro might as well act like it and have the right gear.

Besides, its not like ya got some yocal hanging onto the other end of the saw while yer cutting stuff, that would be weird and awkward.

Why screw around? Buy a 372/441 or the like. An extra pound or two for a lot more power. Then you've got a little saw and a big saw instead of a little saw and a medium saw.
50cc and a 70-90cc cuts a lot of firewood. I'd be falling with 70cc and up.

Hi, from now on i will be cutting about 20 cords (16 inch long) of hard wood for my fire stove. Im felling, limbing, and bucking in the forest, maximum about 15inch diameter . As a homeowner I have a poulan pro 18inch 42cc but its not powerfull and reliable enough. My question is should i go for the pro saw? Im looking for the stihl 291 at 499$ canuck dollar or the or the 261 at 699$. Also should i keep my poulan for limbing or cutting fir at home and when i can risk hitting the ground and rock ?

Thanks !
I destroyed (over-worked) 3 saws before buying an MS261 and have noticed a huge difference. A big one is comfort and control from a better design and reliability. It always depends on how hard you work a saw I guess but if get a pro saw they are designed with more solid metal and parts that are going to be replaceable long term. I find the MS261 really easy to maintain which makes it more likely I will take care of it. Happy chopping

try a saw with better then 70cc,

Ya won't likely go back to the 028's or for that matter any 50-60cc saws for falling ever again. Especially if yer planning on getting any production done.

Dunno, I have saws to 100cc, the 36/360/361/362 are my go to saws.

About 6 years ago I was looking for some saws to cut small logs ranging from 18'' to 30'' so I took a chance on the Husky 460. Knowing that it was cheap saw I was not expecting too much from them. They had to be saws that if they were run over or inadvertently destroyed no big deal. I tried to find some Stihls, but Stihl is not available unless you drive some place. So I ordered three 460's and they are still running strong without many issues. They are lite enough to do limbing work yet they can get through logs up to 30''. What is not to like. They are my go to saw when small work comes up. When just logs come up especially Oak logs I have much larger saws that are not reasonable to do small work. After several years experience behind me pro saws are not always the answer. However if you are climbing often and can not afford to have an issue when you are up a tree then pro saws are the only solution. Thanks

Bitzer this is not the place where people help each other out with good Firewood/chainsaw concepts this is the place where every body just rags on every one else. Thanks for your observation. Thanks

Only folks gettin ragged on around here are posers and firewood hacks trying tell loggers how to log.

Man asked about getting a professional sized saw for falling timber, the correct answer is more power is safer, period.

The rest of it is folks trying to justify little saws and the 20 minutes it takes to put a tree on the ground.

Bitzer this is not the place where people help each other out with good Firewood/chainsaw concepts this is the place where every body just rags on every one else. Thanks for your observation. Thanks

Kinda like Northy said, this is where people stop in once in a while to ask the pros questions and when they don't like the answers they argue back or don't reply at all, which makes it seem like our time is a complete waste of time.

If you're falling timber you don't want a homeowner saw. The 460 is a turd of a saw for power by the way. You ever open it up to see the port sizes? About half what they should be. You can get them to run decent with a lot of Dremel work.

North you must be a log hack cause it takes so many trees to fill up a truck in Wash. Grew up there. What kind of poser are you? Probably not a logger at all. Thanks

exactly how many trees is it oh mighty guru?

did ya live here or did you work in the woods? cause there is a big difference between the two, not to mention the timber here is very different then it was 20 or 30 years ago.

Forestry/fire nerd here. I cut pretty often though, whether on fires or clearing roads or killing snags or the occasional yard removal for a friend or whatever. There is no way I'm willing to put up with the maintenance issues of cheap equipment, especially when I have to supply a crew with working machines. Have you seen the mental gymnastics WADNR has to go through to justify equipping their crews with MS390's? Junk saws cost more in the long run, period. Buy bigger than you need, and better than you think you need, and it'll never let you down. It's called "Margin Of Error".

Note also that folks who use the snot outta their gear don't take kindly to being talked down to by folks who do not. Unless you're moving 100+ cords per year, "firewood" and "pro" are mutually exclusive.

His question was stated as a homeowner cutting firewood to heat his home. I do the same (for over 35 years) and my 262,562,390 work just fine and could get by nicely with 262, 562 for the size of wood he is cutting. You will not regret buying a pro 60-70cc saw. 562 will make fast work of 15 inch logs. Keep a sharp chain and enjoy. That's just my opinion.

North you must be a log hack cause it takes so many trees to fill up a truck in Wash. Grew up there. What kind of poser are you? Probably not a logger at all. Thanks
It takes how many trees to fill a load up export here in the PNW? Normal wood I'm in personally 3 trees will make a load no problem. Now are you going to call me a hack as well being a 4th generation faller?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I switched my saw fleet over to professional series saws from homeowner/"farm" grade saws a couple years ago and couldn't be happier.

I currently have a ma261cm and ms441cm. For 15" wood you will be very happy with a ms261cm and 20" bar/chain. Great power to weight (more power and less weight than a ms290/ms291). Your projected cord usage is pretty high and you'll have a decent amount of saw time the lighter weight will give you a hard days work with minimal fatigue.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a logger. He's not a fuel reductions thinner, a firewood hack, or a weekend warrior wannabe. Logger. Nuff said?

Back on topic If you want professional grade results, by a professional grade saw. And take care of it.

Back