Should i NOT buy this 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good feedback, thanks for the replys everyone. Hope i didnt start a fight.

Perhaps i should have elaborated more...
I cut about ten cord of firewood a year along with almost fove more cord of saw logs. I am a user, not a collector! My 365 special doesnt even have the the ID plate on it and i dont care. i dont buy saws for resale, i buy them to make wood chips.

Up here in Newfoundland Canada the (smaller) 300 series used husky market is non existent because they are either wore out or the owner wont give them up. I can pay $40 and get two separate 10 cord permits so.... everyone cuts firewood!!!! So good used saws arw few and far between.
A good used 200 series saw can get 200- 400 depending on diaplacemnt. So paying 500 for that saw... it may not be a "good" price but it certainly isnt a bad one either.

I was just wondering if anyone would have any reason to believe that this saw would not be a good, reliable and long lasting saw? Personally i feel the price is a bit high but there are no 346, 353 or 357 to compare it to.

For sale around here there is currently a 372xp for 550, it is a rebuild used a handfull of times since rebuilt at shop. A clean looking 272xp for 450. A suped up jonsered 630 for 450.

All three of those saws are nice but, with my 365 sp and with where and what i cut, i don't need bigger, actually i could use a smaller saw.. hence the 346.

Keep the feedback coming

Lol OP says "here's this pro saw with a brand new top end". You counter with "but you could have a brand new homeowner saw".

I'm out. OP if everything in the ad is true I think you'd be doing just fine to pick that up.
Thanks for your feedback! I like what you were saying, i thi k we are on the same page.

I happened to run across that listing. It's been for sale for two weeks...

Known good models at fair prices last 2 hours.

at this point that fellow might get reasonable. Or not.

It's a rebuilt 351. Disguised. No more, no less. And "probably" a great saw.

but why would someone have to rebuild a low hour 351? And how well did the bottom end survive the meltdown? If it was a meltdown, that is (highly likely).

some of us want used saws' pricing to be inflated, and some of us don't.

I happened to run across that listing. It's been for sale for two weeks...

Known good models at fair prices last 2 hours.

at this point that fellow might get reasonable. Or not.

It's a rebuilt 351. Disguised. No more, no less. And "probably" a great saw.

but why would someone have to rebuild a low hour 351? And how well did the bottom end survive the meltdown? If it was a meltdown, that is (highly likely).

some of us want used saws' pricing to be inflated, and some of us don't.
Good point. I ask myslef the same question. I realize that my question is about the 346 in general (everyone knows they are great little saws) but rather this particular one and of course know can answer my question onther that the seller so i will ask more questions about the history of the 351 and thenreason fornthe mod. I am under the impression it was a just a project for him but i will clarify that.
Thanks for the feedback everyone, i will look into some more and let you guys know what i find out and what i decide.

Good point. I ask myslef the same question. I realize that my question is about the 346 in general (everyone knows they are great little saws) but rather this particular one and of course know can answer my question onther that the seller so i will ask more questions about the history of the 351 and thenreason fornthe mod. I am under the impression it was a just a project for him but i will clarify that.
Thanks for the feedback everyone, i will look into some more and let you guys know what i find out and what i decide.
Good luck. You have a lot of patience. That saw is now a 346NE

I have a 351 with a 346 top end, ditto on a 353, both had good original p&c's when I got them. I much prefer having either in 346 form rather than the open port 345 or even the closed port 350 top ends that came on 351/353's. Significant bump in performance for under a hundred bucks and as well getting a fresh top end. I've picked up new 346 kits for as low as $75 on sales.
Not sure why that's a hard thing to understand for some here...

If the 346 top end was bought in Canada its almost 300 bux.
We never got the 110 bux ones.
All them small huskys are good.
I have a oem346 and oem353 both massaged a little, prefer the 353.
I think here 300-350 cad would get you a small husky here,, there are not a lot of 346 out here, not sure why.
I got mine from Ontario.

as a firewood saw, I'd pay about 300-350 cad max for that. Maybe.

I think here 300-350 cad would get you a small husky here,

well, there's two of us Canucks that watch the market (and have examples we've bought) that are in full agreement.

imagine that?

If the 346 top end was bought in Canada its almost 300 bux.
We never got the 110 bux ones.
All them small huskys are good.
I have a oem346 and oem353 both massaged a little, prefer the 353.
I think here 300-350 cad would get you a small husky here,, there are not a lot of 346 out here, not sure why.
I got mine from Ontario.
I actually just came accross a 351 in Ontario in good shape for 300, im talking the seller now.
So fellas... that 346 or a clean little 351?

Back