Should I prune my young Purple Leaf Flowering Plum tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbbryant

Reaction score
I need knowledgeable advice as trees are not at all my expertise. I live in a typical residential community in a mid-sized Iowa town. A couple of years ago I had to remove the only 2 trees from my south-facing front lawn.

Two autumns ago I planted a fledgling purple leaf flowering plum to replace them. It is growing well.

I've attached a picture of what I think of as little starts and suckers growing from or beside the tree.

My question: Should I trim those off? If so, how far up the tree? There are small branches with purple/reddish leaves all over the trunk in addition to the green ones you see here.

I live in Hardiness Zone 5a, though I doubt that matters.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170611_122024.jpg
    20170611_122024.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
Yeah get those green ones coming up from the base. They generally called suckers and are coming up from the root stock.

Thank you Jason. What about the tiny branches (not as visible in this pic) that are plentiful on the trunk, before the main branches begin to "Y" out? I am used to thinking of them as suckers too, but I'm not sure as the tree grows (it's roughly 5 1/2 to 6 feet right now) if those should be left to form additional branches?

Back