Should I wait for Stihl MS 500i, or buy ....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I'm new to the Arborist Site,
did some researching, ton of reading on threads about what to buy, but it seems like that, more info I find, more stuck I get.
I would like to buy new saw, moved from Illinois to the High Country Colorado 10000 ft, so altitude is a problem. I'm not a professional, but I cut firewood at least once a week and maintain about 180 acre property. My old PullMeAlways Pro 42cc toy doesn't run good up here at all. Can't find the sweet spot for carb adjustment and after detailed inspection I discovered scored piston, so she is a goner.
Should I wait for the new fuel injected Stihl MS 500i ?
Or just get the Husky 562 XP with auto tune?
I need a good, strong, reliable saw, that starts and runs great in high elevations.
I don't want to waste time constantly fiddling with the carb adjustments.
I don't have any experience with the PRO line of saws, is the Auto Tune feature reliable on 562XP?
Or would you recommend different saw?

Thanks for your help guys!

The two saws you're asking about are 60 and 80ccs respectively. That's a big difference. Also, there's what a $500 difference in price? To better answer your question, it'd be good to know what size wood you're mostly dealing with. Also, knowing which brand has a GOOD dealer in your area may strongly impact your decision.

Personally, for maintaining a 180 acre property, assuming you have a fair amount of wooded area, I'd want two saws at a minimum. I'd probably start with a 50cc and a 70cc saw and go from there.

Thanks for the reply Ryan.
About 50% of my property is wooded. Largest trees are 30-40 inches, but the average size that I would be dealing with is probably 20 inches.
When it comes to the local dealers I only have the box stores near by, such as True Value, Tractor Supply, Murdoch's Ranch Supply, Big-R, Lowe's

Yep, I'll stick with my recommendation for a 50&70cc saw. Search out the nearest Husqvarna and Stihl dealers and visit them. Ask some questions, handle some saws. You'll probably get a feeling about which way to go after that. I'd be looking at a 241/261 & 441/461/462 stihl in the new lineup and a husky 545/550 and 372/576/572. The 462 and 572 aren't released yet, but you can check them out online to help decide if it's worth waiting.

Of course there's great saws to be had from members here. Whatever you decide on, be sure to leave room in the budget for chaps and a hardhat at the minimum, ideally some boots with cut protection too. And obviously eye and ear protection etc.

Back