Should these two trees come down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Polhemus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Both trees are fully mature and leaf bearing. One of the first things I did when we bought the property four years ago was to cut all the vines growing on the tress.

First tree in question is a Sycamore (first 4 pictures).

Second tree is a Poplar (last 2 pictures). The diameter at chest height is 23 inches. The void is 6 feet tall, depth is 9 inches.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sycamore-3.jpgSycamore-1.jpgSycamore-4.jpgSycamore-2.jpg.
Poplar-1.jpgPoplar-2.jpg

What would they hit if they were to fall? Do you like these trees or would it make no difference to you whether they stay or go?
Almost all Sycamore I’ve removed have been hollow to one extent or another. That tree has a lot of reaction wood and the attachment point of the codom is good.
The Popular also has a lot of reaction wood. Popular are weak trees to begin with so that one concerns me more. That being said if you’ve ever split reaction wood, it tears more than splits. Strong stuff.

The Sycamore is only about 15 feet from the house. The right stem (the one with the void at the base) leans a bit toward the corner of the house. About halfway up it grows straight up. The left stem leans a bit away from the house. I had two arborists (not affiliated with a tree removal service) come out separately to look at them. They both said fill the voids with dirt and cap them off with expanding foam. I can't decide if I should take just the right stem down and fill the voids or take the whole tree down. Man I wish my father had a chance to see them before he died. He majored in forestry in Syarcuse, NY. and was loathe to cut any tree down, so if he said it should go it would already be gone. I gained my love of trees from him, so my heart says "save them!", my head says "are you kidding,? Cut'em down!".

The top of the Poplar could hit the house if it fell that way. It's situated like this; _O_ the underscore lines being the house and the O being the tree. The void is on the right side of the O. I think my father would say to take it down, but what do I know? That's why I'm here!

The Sycamore is only about 15 feet from the house. The right stem (the one with the void at the base) leans a bit toward the corner of the house. About halfway up it grows straight up. The left stem leans a bit away from the house. I had two arborists (not affiliated with a tree removal service) come out separately to look at them. They both said fill the voids with dirt and cap them off with expanding foam. I can't decide if I should take just the right stem down and fill the voids or take the whole tree down. Man I wish my father had a chance to see them before he died. He majored in forestry in Syarcuse, NY. and was loathe to cut any tree down, so if he said it should go it would already be gone. I gained my love of trees from him, so my heart says "save them!", my head says "are you kidding,? Cut'em down!".

The top of the Poplar could hit the house if it fell that way. It's situated like this; _O_ the underscore lines being the house and the O being the tree. The void is on the right side of the O. I think my father would say to take it down, but what do I know? That's why I'm here!

Those guys weren't arborist.

Or if they were, they are at least 40 years behind the times.

I agree with the statements that if there are no targets in the area to leave them standing. I could see at least one in your photos though, like the 220V. underground drop from the high voltage transformer. Also being along your driveway if a high voltage line comes down you may drive up on it before you realize that a tree has knocked it to the ground. Or you may find it walking to get the mail.

Dirt in the cavity??? Trying to accelerate decay I suppose.

Capping with foam has been bantered back and forth. I say leave it open. Foam guarantees that it will never dry out. As it is, it looks dry even now.

That hole on the right side of the first pic....does it connect with the rotted are in between the 2 sycamore trunks?

How deep does that rot go into the Tulip? Looks pretty deep in the pic.

Initially my gut says Sycamore OK, Tulip not. But do NOT make that call based off a few pictures on the internet!

I think it is worth having a better qualified arborist out if you want to keep them. Where do you live? Maybe someone here can recommend a company.

Thanks for the comments thus far.

I will search for an ISA arborist.

I agree with the logic expressed here that the two ‘arborists’ (they were both older gents) are behind the times. I will not be filling the cavities.

The two cavities in the Sycamore do not connect. I’ll have to clean the upper one out tomorrow to measure it.

Used the ISA.org site ti find 3 certified risk assessment arborists nearby.

Didn't want to mess around outside too much. Off and on rain and we're under a tornado watch and high wind warning until 6pm.
Did pull some dirt like stuff out of the top void in the Sycamore. Found worms and termites. The depth of the void a good 18 inches (forgot the tape rule).
Thoughts about scooping out the rest of the 'dirt' and house guest?
2.JPG

I'd sprinkle some insecticidal dust (Sevin) in there...

Not a bad idea to scoop out the dirt.

Don't hang around those trees when under tornado watch/warning ;)

Look forward to hearing what the TRAQ arborists say.

I was very impressed with the TRAQ arborist that came today. The advice given here was spot on, even though you guys didn't have the benefit he did of seeing the entire trees and those around them. The Sycamore isn't in imminent danger of falling, but since it is so close to the house we should plan on removing it sooner rather than later. A plus is that what I thought was subterranean termites is actually carpenter ants, a relief since the ants would only be going after the dead wood. He suggested having our insurance company send someone to look at the trees as they might pick up the tab if it is decided they should be removed. Considering they replaced the hail damaged roof, very near, if not past it's lifespan, it might just happen.

I appreciated that what mattered to him was educating homeowners so they can make an informed decision. I'm fascinated with August Hunicke's YouTube channel, the way he and his crew work and safety being paramount. So it gives me a pretty good idea of what I want tree service company to provide. I asked this fellow how he would handle taking the Sycamore down when the time comes. His answers sounded a lot like what I hear on August's channel. After awhile I told him I subscribe to a tree service YouTube channel and some of the things I learned from it. He asked me "is it a guy named August?". Turns out he's a subscriber too

Once again, thanks for your help!

.... He suggested having our insurance company send someone to look at the trees as they might pick up the tab if it is decided they should be removed. Considering they replaced the hail ....
Let us know if that happens. I have never heard of them doing that. "What I hear more frequently is 'if you don't have the tree removed immediately we will drop your policy."

Let us know if that happens. I have never heard of them doing that. "What I hear more frequently is 'if you don't have the tree removed immediately we will drop your policy."
That’s what Ive been thinking too. I probably misunderstood him.

Checked with our insurance agent. Our policy doesn’t cover tree removal ... sigh, story of my life.
Thanks for reporting back. I've always thought insurance should at least help with the cost of preventive failures (same with, say for example, fixing uneven sidewalks that could result in a lawsuit)...but like I said, I've just heard of them insisting it gets taken care of. I would have been surprised if they did, so don't feel unlucky.

Before I was doing arboriculture work, I had met with a client as his forester. I noticed a big tree with some nasty looking decay leaning right over his house. I suggested he might want to remove that. "I know...but I've gotten prices that were several thousand dollars. My insurance deductible is only $500" :omg:

....Before I was doing arboriculture work, I had met with a client as his forester. I noticed a big tree with some nasty looking decay leaning right over his house. I suggested he might want to remove that. "I know...but I've gotten prices that were several thousand dollars. My insurance deductible is only $500" :omg:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :cool:
Love it!

Latest posts

Back