Show me your firewood storage/shed/rack......please :-)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You put numerous cords right in your basement though, that is sort of a wood shed.
What's the deal, the stacks aren't full yet???????????? Slacker! lol

Those pictures are from early 2012... by the New Year there was 8 of those long stacks plum full, and various small stashes around the property (like the winter picture).
Last winter put a pretty good dent in the stash.
Yeah zogger, numerous cord in the basement... 'round 5 cord moved in over the last month or so.
I figure one more of those long stacks (2 cord) moved in and I'll be good for this year.
But the sad part?? That will leave only one of those long stacks for backup if winter goes like last year :(

I'm gonna' need to get real busy over the next few months... hopefully we won't get all the snow that kept me out'a the woodlot last year.

wood shelter details

First of all thanks for the approvals :)
Sorry for a long post but it should cover most common questions.
The inspiration came from shelters others have made and their online reviews.
My design helps to shield view from the road, shelter my wood and the back side serves as a fence along the property line. PT fence boards cover the 2 ends and the outer walls. It was recommended the boards dry for a year so I guess there will be a staining job to complete this summer.:clap:
For the base I've got about 6" of crushed stone and it's all contained in place with cedar logs around the perimeter. On top MT pallets have been placed. Wood is then piled 6' high. This combination allows the wood to dry well and longevity to the pallets.
On the longer side of the shelter each section is 8' by 4' deep.
On the shorter side starting from the left the first section holds all the (difficult to pile) shorts and crotches etc., it's only about 3' in depth. Next I have a small section for cedar logs to make into kindling. And the last section holds 3 discarded shopping carts full of split kindling. If you look closely one cart is visible....wheels etc all removed. Access to the kindling carts is from the far side via flip up door. This makes efficient use of the corner. Above this row I have some open shelving to store planks and other long items.
The whole shelter is covered with roofing steel.
As far as the tarps, there is a convenient rope to be found on the inside. Just reach in and hoist away.
The roll up tarps have nothing more than an old water pipe at the bottom. Simply drill and tap the pipe and bolt the tarp to it. These are the common tarps found at hardware stores. Then rig some rope. Start at the top (facia) come down the outer side of the tarp around the bottom and up the inside to some pulleys. The pulleys direct the ropes to a desirable location. So when you pull the rope the tarp just curls up around the pipe. Although you could drop the tarps for a rainy day in the summer I prefer to leave them fully up from April thru October.
If there are any other details I've missed just ask away or PM me anytime. :cheers:

Nice Job.
Sounds like you planned it out well.
I will use some of your ideas if you don't mind.
I like the idea for the odds and kindling. I'm always moving mine around.
I also like the idea of it being a fence as well. I need that on one side of my country property here.
The tarps are ingenious and I will do that for sure.
Are the pipes black plastic abs or white/grey pvc?
Where abouts on Lake Huron are you?

did a similar search myself just to see if they had a price for that treated monstrosity
now this looks interesting....

wood-shed-tree2.jpg

wood-shed-tree1.jpg

That's crazy cool lookin
Looks like a man cave/bar or something

I'm trying something new this year. About 2/3 done now. German style "Holz_Hausen". Any of you guys try one of these?
View attachment 369984View attachment 369985

Built one this spring to try it out also. Lots of work. Mine wasn't that neat either. Paper wasps built a nest on the back side of it that no one noticed and some guys were unloading it a couple weeks ago and got a BIG surprise! Yes I think they are cool to look at and they work well but I won't build another as It takes too long.

This is the first time I have tried one. I saw it on youtube and thought it looked pretty cool so I figured I'd give it a try just for the hell of it. I put the small entrance in front so the kids can use it as a little fort for a few days and they enjoyed playing in it. in thinking it through I honestly think it's going to be a pain in the ass to use it and keep it neat as it gets used up this winter. we'll have to see how it works out figured I would throw some plywood across the top for a roof to keep it all dry.

Nice! That did turn out Purdy.
Now how do you use it throughout the winter and still maintain it's structural integrity?

Nice! That did turn out Purdy.
Now how do you use it throughout the winter and still maintain it's structural integrity?
I don't know yet. It's almost one year old now. We have about 20 cords to pick from before I attempt to burn this one up! I guess it will be a tarp cover situation while it comes down

^^^anyone know what kinda' wood that is??^^,,I call it firewood!!
Burnt a few small splits last nite, it burned well enough,,no hissing or steam,,it may be ready to burn...?
It's maple in the front, I don't know what the stuff is in the back,,

Latest posts

Back