Show me your firewood storage/shed/rack......please :-)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just lost my 80x120 cause my cousins new barn won't b done till spring so they r gonna fill it with 100 head of cattle for winter I might get cold this yr but I know where there will b plenty of beef hiding

Hi guys,I want to build a firewood shed and I need some inspiration/cool designs....

Thanks guys

Jan

Each shed holds roughly 2 cords each, the shed on the right 2x4 runing trough the middle to act as dividers holding about a cord. This allows me to segragate ceratain types of wood. A few years back my neighbor gave me a some soft wood that I stacked on one side of the shed and used to start fires with for the year.

Attachments

• shed 1.JPG
    shed 1.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 168
  • shed 2.JPG
    shed 2.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 193
  • shed 3.JPG
    shed 3.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 151
I build these,

standard.jpg

They hold 1/2 cord each...

SR

Heres what I finished putting together. I wanted to build a lean-to out of wood, but the price got to high just to cover wood. So I used 3/4 EMT, bent at 60 degrees and 30 degrees with 5' driven into the ground.

20150606_110918_zpsqylbqkld.jpg

20150606_110853_zpsndm2xjui.jpg
It looks stacked full. Do the ones in the middle dry OK?

My storage system is a bit more simple...back up and pull the handle when I'm cutting close to home, or tossed on if I haul with the flatbed.

2 15x15 bays, piled up 10' in the middle, 8' on the back side, and tapering down to the ground on the front.

One for this year, one for next. Mostly all dead honey locust that's been dead long enough standing for the bark, thorns, and limbs smaller than 8" fall off when the tree goes down.

Lots of better things to do than stack sticks...get it done with as little input as possible is the goal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 75
My storage system is a bit more simple...back up and pull the handle when I'm cutting close to home, or tossed on if I haul with the flatbed.

2 15x15 bays, piled up 10' in the middle, 8' on the back side, and tapering down to the ground on the front.

One for this year, one for next. Mostly all dead honey locust that's been dead long enough standing for the bark, thorns, and limbs smaller than 8" fall off when the tree goes down.

Lots of better things to do than stack sticks...get it done with as little input as possible is the goal.

Do you worry about the pieces on the very bottom having contact with the ground? I had my wood stacked on rocks thinking that was enough of a barrier from the ground, but some termites made their way to about two wheel barrel loads worth that I burned when I found them...then I moved that whole section of firewood, sprayed the ground with termite concentrate, placed down cement pavers and treated 2x4's then re-stacked the wood on top of the 2x4's. Since this was on the side of my driveway sort of close to the house I took the additional pre-cautions...but it was not fun moving that 1.5 cords twice to accomplish that...

Nope. The stuff in the first bin went in there the fall of 2013, and I moved a few that didn't get burnt this spring and looked like the day I dumped it in. There's a few smashed into the dirt, a lot were laying on bark that fell off when dumped in there. That said, it was almost all honey locust. The second has some hickory that I know has some of those sawdust worms in it, but to me it's an acceptable loss to offset the cost of time playing pickup sticks. Just cut a little more and don't worry about it.

If you're working with less rot resistant stuff might be a bigger issue. Will be a long time before I run out of the honey locust supply around here and I have to worry about it much I think. The few that get messed up from laying on ground will just go to the shop stove or camp fire...they still burn when hot enough

Do you worry about the pieces on the very bottom having contact with the ground? I had my wood stacked on rocks thinking that was enough of a barrier from the ground, but some termites made their way to about two wheel barrel loads worth that I burned when I found them...then I moved that whole section of firewood, sprayed the ground with termite concentrate, placed down cement pavers and treated 2x4's then re-stacked the wood on top of the 2x4's. Since this was on the side of my driveway sort of close to the house I took the additional pre-cautions...but it was not fun moving that 1.5 cords twice to accomplish that...
For long term storage you would probably want it up off the ground or as NWMO said just cut a little more.

20151201_135725.jpg Hey guys looking at one more end of the season outdoor project(sure others will come up).
Looking for more ideas for a woodshed/tractor storage.
You can see in the picture my basic plan. 24X16 access on the 24 side with the slope going to the back.
3 "bays; 2 on the sides that are 6x16 for wood and one 12x16 in the middle for my tractor.
I figure I can bring the wood into the center larger bay if I choose to.
I will have bracing on the center six post for front to back movement and on the outside corners for side to side rigidity.
Thinking about 2x6's for the side bays (except the front and back fascia/rim joist?).
2x8's for the center bay.
All three bays will be built separate from each other. The center will be built on the post, and the sides will be built on the ground and lifted into place. This will allow me to nail the center boards and save a few bucks on joist hangers.
The roof will be vinyl sign material unless some steel comes my way for cheap.
Any suggestions or advice.
Thanks Guys.

Back