Show me your Woodshed designs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did I do?
IMG_20110901_145149.jpg
This was a tourist attraction from Michigan's Upper Peninsula that I posted a few years ago - it disappeared with the website hack. Someone accused me of building the woodshed around the wood and I thought it was funny. Stumbled on the photo when i got my new phone so i resurrected it. :D

I always pictured something made out of pallets and metal roof. Simple and easy
My neighbor built a wood store with 3 sides resembling pallets 1 side open& a "wrigglery tin" sloping roo fas far as i know his wood never got below 30% moisture content as the rain used to blow in through the gaps After he passed away his son hung pieces of black agri plastic inside the 3 walls & a piece on the open side he could roll up or let down with a couple of bungees at the bottom corners to stop it flapping about when down yjat seemed to get his moisture content below 20%

I heat with wood and I used 5 full cords this last winter. I have 5 split cords under tarp and two large piles of rounds to split.
I ended up with ten free sheets of ribbed metal 10' long that were cover sheets for my barn build.
I'm thinking of 4x4's in corners and every 8' for posts, 2x8 nailed across the top horizontally across the 4x4's like a header front and back, 2x6 24" on centers rafters, 2x4 perlans 24" centers, nail sheets on top for roofing.
Also any thought as to direction to place front. I'm in Northern MI in the snow belt. Most of our weather seems to prevail from North, Northwest, and West.

Suggestions, pictures of your designs?
Regards
Sounds like a good plan for your lean-to.
I'd put it where you get full sun exposure, maybe face it east/south-east if you can, but as long as it gets wind and has a roof it will season and dry.
My place has similar wind and Winter conditions as you and my lean to will be south facing and covered with slotted fence-board sides and back.
My plan is for a 6 foot deep by ten foot wide bay by how ever many bays wide. Roof angled back. 4x4 post corners, 2 by beams and 2x4 roof joists.
Brace corners and anchor 4x4's with those stake type anchors for them.
As long as I can get 2 4'x4' pallets in each bay, I'll be happy.

No snow in Northern California. Those loads weren't a concern when I designed my woodshed.

I originally planned on getting canvas tarps that I would secure at the top and attach a 2x2 to the bottom. In the summer I could roll them up and tie them to the top and then let them down for the winter. The first year I didn't get the tarps in time. The firewood stayed dry enough to burn without the tarps so I never got them.

I take wood from the high side of the woodshed and work my way back to the low side. I guess I am far enough back before the rain starts in the winter to end up with wet firewood. The generous eves protect the low side from rain.

I grew up in Illinois and didn't understand the weather in CA before I moved here. We really only get rain from say November or December to April or May. It won't rain a drop in the summer. It is convenient for seasoning firewood and no wood gets wet when the woodshed is full during the summer months. We start burning in November so there is a cushion before the rains start.

HTH

Bob

Got concrete poured in the bays and a nice apron, its very nice for dressing the grade in front of it.
This was late may last yr.
IMG_20190523_204344925.jpg
Started filling it in June.
IMG_20190603_153920047.jpg
When I designed it I wanted it wide enough to get to the bays with my tractor/loader.
20190921_155613.jpg
Then I got the wood on the east side in the fall, had a month of being sick, and then a big storm trashed the property, the good thing is the house wasn't damaged too bad, but it delayed getting the side on, and wood in it until this winter. Before siding I had to raise the shelf the fuel cans and that are on in the first picture and cut the wood off that extended out past the wall for the pic pipe and whatnot.
20191024_163958.jpg
This is in Jan, the East side is filled up to the shelf now and the West side the front portion of the bay is almost filled and the back still has a bit in it left over as it was very mild here this yr.
Sure is nice not working under tarps.
But I am running out of room under it for everything since the bays are nearly full.
20200201_162843.jpg

It doesn't matter how big you make a garage/shop/shed it will fill up fast.

That is a very nice building you built.
Thanks, the next one will be a little bigger. They only come in one size, too small lol.

Attachments

• 20200310_121010.jpg
    20200310_121010.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200310_121037.jpg
    20200310_121037.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200310_121128.jpg
    20200310_121128.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Back