Show off your crummys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tank on that slip looks like an old Wajax-Pacific. We just got rid of 8 of them. They were 20 years old and had been repaired many times. Now we have a motley assortment of Danko, Mallory, and US Fire units.

Mine is the 1-T Ford on the left; it's sporting a Danko Type 6 slip with a United Plastics tank, a 23-HP B&S engine, a Hannay hosereel, and a 4-stage Wildfire pump. We had it re-sprung with 2-T springs last year because the weight of the water was causing the front end to drift. It's rock-solid now. I like the singles better than duallys because it keeps more weight on the contact patch, which helps keep from getting stuck. The short wheelbase makes it maneuverable.

The big Chevy to the right is an unknown element so far. We just got it and don't have much time on it. That's a US fire Type 6 slip, with UPI tank, B&S engine, an Akron hosereel, and a Darley pump. I don't like the Darleys for this kind of work; a single stage pump is way too easy to kill if you're not paying attention to water level, and US Fire aren't too religious about low-level switches. This rig has one but it's not currently working. Don't get me started. All that diamond-plate amounts to an expensive hill of beans when an inattentive operator kills a thousand-dollar pump.

1002092_10151510590492523_305301169_n.jpg
Not to sure about the tank-this is our first year at the "contract engine" stuff. we got a great deal on it. this fall (fire $ depending) if that truck doesn't get to thrashed it will back to loggin'. And solicitation will sport a new truck-tank-pump.That GMC has 210,000 on it. It may very well get a flatbed and set -up similar to yours. i have O pref. on pumps and such- this year will skool me I am sure. have only cut on fires to this point, i don't know if the engine stuff is for me or not . now an FMC/KMC skidgen - that's totally diff.:cheers:

Gee I like the look of the duel cab is it 4x4 is it a tip tray
if it was mine it would be a tipper flat tray with drop sides and tail gate real quick
I like the set up Ive got just now it very quick to get the shed off and the drop sides n tail gate on ready for what ever
The she houses all my Farriery equipment good O yeah

View attachment 306732

Here's mine, 76 j20, 70k original miles. I am the second owner. It is not a big puller but most of my work is just falling. It hauls the saws around and a few cords of fire wood to the house.

Well, sad to say it but I have to sell it. I just ended up with a f250 of all things. No style but 4 doors and enough power to pull whatever I need. My work is changing and I needed a bigger truck.

A crummy, in our part of the world, is usually the vehicle that hauls the crew to and from the woods. A lot of them are crew cab pickups but occasionally a van or small bus is used.

Individual pickups or work trucks are never referred to as crummies. The crummy is the crummy, period. They're usually easily identifiable by the dirt, dents and mud on the body, the welter of logging gear in the back, and the a totally unique but not altogether unpleasant odor in the cab.

On a payday Friday, they're the fastest way from the woods to town

A review.

I sold that Nissan I used to have. Then I thought I should become one one of those Toyota snobs we have been talking about earlier. I've had this one a couple of weeks now.

IMG_5837.JPG

No tool box fits on, because of the short bed, so I came up with this Montana style saw rack.

IMG_5835.JPG

I still got some bumper stickers left for it, yet my son have confiscated them and we are still negotiating the terms of transfer.

Last edited:
Nice pickup, Sam!:msp_thumbup: Although I do have to say, I still liked the little red Zhiguli wagon the best!:laugh:

I do miss that little Soviet bugger sometimes too, John. I gave it to a friend of mine and it still exists, although it has text MOTÖRHEAD painted on it and a someone has shot in the front door with a rifle. Afterlife!

View attachment 311658
View attachment 311659

Had to take a day off to get this bought and ready, back to the grind tomorrow. This should make the 4 hour drive to the job a little more pleasant.

Have a good, safe week - Sam

Sam,
I had that same rig in black for about 11 years, it had 387k and was humming like a bird till i nailed a deer at 75 a week before my first child was born, and 3 weeks before I moved down here. I just wasn't in a position to get it running or towed down here or I'd still have it.

Its a perfect sized truck, the 3.4 is plenty motor, and its simpler than newer models. I still have envy when I see them on the road. I'll buy another if i ever am in the market for that. Sweet upgrade, congrats.
Oh yeah, killer 4x4 too, the front diff locks when its in 4x4

Sam,
I had that same rig in black for about 11 years, it had 387k and was humming like a bird till i nailed a deer at 75 a week before my first child was born, and 3 weeks before I moved down here. I just wasn't in a position to get it running or towed down here or I'd still have it.

Its a perfect sized truck, the 3.4 is plenty motor, and its simpler than newer models. I still have envy when I see them on the road. I'll buy another if i ever am in the market for that. Sweet upgrade, congrats.
Oh yeah, killer 4x4 too, the front diff locks when its in 4x4

I've kind of fallen in love already Joe. It does seem to be just the right size. This one's got 244K and runs like a top....Kind of makes everything else I've owned seem like a real POS.

A grill guard is in my near future.....I've been damn lucky with the deer/elk/moose/bear so far....Not sure how much luck I have left. Matter of fact, I think I may have used it ALL up driving the old Suby to work and not putting myself 6 feet under.

View attachment 311658
View attachment 311659

Had to take a day off to get this bought and ready, back to the grind tomorrow. This should make the 4 hour drive to the job a little more pleasant.

Have a good, safe week - Sam

You know, we can't have them like that in Europe. Good for you, Sam. I could kill for a front diff lock in winter.

Latest posts

Back