Show Us Your Brag Load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cookie Monster would like that monster! - how did u get it in your truck?

Just pick up one side and stood it up. Then backed the truck up and leaned it against the tailgate. Then 2 of use lifted it up and just slid it on. Heavier than it looks though.

MVC-001S_10.JPG

Sawdust building up and the four foot bar wasn't quite big enough for one pass.

MVC-005S_4.JPG

Here is a shot of the distance from stump.

MVC-003S_8.JPG

I did cheat on splitting it though!

Kevin in Ohio:

good pix! your splitter looks unique, beam steel box, not H or I beam... any pix of that? definitely HD model. type & tonnage? will u just let 'the cookie' dry naturally? I would think it mite cup some, or split....

thanks for taking time to post up the cool :cool: 'brag shots'... title well earned, imo.

Kevin in Ohio:

good pix! your splitter looks unique, beam steel box, not H or I beam... any pix of that? definitely HD model. type & tonnage? will u just let 'the cookie' dry naturally? I would think it mite cup some, or split....

thanks for taking time to post up the cool :cool: 'brag shots'... title well earned, imo.

In building/repairing splitters over the years the box beam frame simply holds up better for me. I've never had to repair one. Can't say that for others I or H beam. The build album of the splitter is at the bottom of my posts. Click on that and you see everything on how it was made and why. 28 gpm pump, 5 inch cylinder with adjustable stroke, dump valve, swing away tables, quick detach on split head, full auto cycle valve, overhead 360 swivel cordless remote winch to drag and lift, outriggers to stabilize, etc. Put in a lot of features I wanted that no one offers. Love it too.:rock:

MVC-013S_1.JPG

The cookie has 6 months dry time inside so far with no bad cracks yet. If it stays together I'll try the table thing. Dad made one years ago from a walnut stump and thought I'd try it with this one. Nieces all want one to so if I get 2 out of this I will have a cat fight on my hands for the extra! :dumb:

kevin in ohio said:

>The build album of the splitter is at the bottom of my posts. Click on that and you see everything on how it was made and why.

i'd like to ck it out... just not sure where in your posts the build starts? can u post the link to it? I see some build info/pix - a red one, just not sure if that is the yellow one. thanks...

kevin in ohio said:

>The build album of the splitter is at the bottom of my posts. Click on that and you see everything on how it was made and why.

i'd like to ck it out... just not sure where in your posts the build starts? can u post the link to it? I see some build info/pix - a red one, just not sure if that is the yellow one. thanks...
should be number 16. it has a pic of a lawnmower for some reason

kevin in ohio said:

I switched the lead pic. the lawnmower was the first pic of the album and what I got the motor from. Here is a direct link for you:

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/woodsplitter

I switched the lead pic. the lawnmower was the first pic of the album and what I got the motor from. Here is a direct link for you:

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/woodsplitter

well, hey... Thanks! ... I would say that pictorial foto essay is most impressive. it's quite clear to see how and why your red truck turned out as nice as it did! has it ever been in any of the truck/off road - performance publications? I have seen no shortage of cool projects over the years... airplanes to hot rods... and in between... I would say with no reservation, and rightly deserved... " spectacular!" describes both of your projects - very impressive and quite out of the ordinary; skillfully executed! imo, you are a brilliant dreamer, designer, fabricator... and builder. I like all the precision metal working, design and assembly...

you said:
Not saying this is the way everyone should do it, it just suits our needs and I'll try to give some tips along the way to help others.

I got a laff out of that... :) 'everyone'... little doubt in my mind that most, if not all... here on the AS are very mechanically inclined... yet doubt everyone could ever build something like that, even if they wanted to. [no disrespect to anyone intended, ie - everyone, myself included and I have a machine shop!]... but I am sure 'everyone' would agree... clearly an example of an exceptionally well designed and built piece of custom equipment bringing together many mechanical disciplines in an original design! if there was a magazine called: Hot Log Splitters Illustrated.... no doubt your log splitter would be front cover material... with a full spread inside...

thanks again for the link. I enjoyed with eyes wide open... :sweet: my fast run thru your pictorial essay. I will go back and read it for detail... :reading: study your thinking, design and approach. it is well documented, no doubt a lot can be learned there...

I can relate to your wanting less straining and bending over. me, too! just today I said having scrounged in a bunch of oak... 2 day project, even today all afternoon in the rain (dedicated) lol, well tomorrow the city will prob haul the pile off, gotta striked while the iron is hot... (rains and wet, cold Seattle like weather aside, sometimes timing is everything! either you want it, or you don't!) well, I said.... ok, bub! ... now the work begins! [cutting, splitting and stacking] I am influenced by much of what I see here on the AS. chain saws, arborist and logging ops aside... certainly with all the unique splitters, setups and useage. I am rethinking how I can set up my splitting operation to help reduce the straining and bending over...

I recently found the AS as a result of researching more indepth the techniques for chain saw cylinder porting... after reading some threads, cheking things out... it didn't take me too long to realize, omg... this place is a woodcutter's Mecca! :numberone: why, even I could join up! :dancing:so much to see and do... and your awesome log splitter is just one example why. designing, cutting, welding, drilling, pinning, reaming, hydraulics.... Gzzz as in you didn't buy it, you built your own...

very nice!

:)

well, hey... Thanks! ... I would say that pictorial foto essay is most impressive. it's quite clear to see how and why your red truck turned out as nice as it did! has it ever been in any of the truck/off road - performance publications? I have seen no shortage of cool projects over the years... airplanes to hot rods... and in between... I would say with no reservation, and rightly deserved... " spectacular!" describes both of your projects - very impressive and quite out of the ordinary; skillfully executed! imo, you are a brilliant dreamer, designer... and fabricator. I like all the precision metal working, design and assembly... what would you rate its ton capacity at?

you said:
Not saying this is the way everyone should do it, it just suits our needs and I'll try to give some tips along the way to help others.

I got a laff out of that... :) 'everyone'... little doubt in my mind that most here on the AS are very mechanically inclined... and doubt everyone could even build something like that, even if they wanted to. [no disrespect to anyone intended, ie - everyone, myself included and I have a machine shop!]... but I am sure 'everyone' would agree... clearly an example of an exceptionally well designed and built piece of custom equipment. bringing together many mechanical disciplines! if there was a magazine called: Hot Log Splitters Illustrated.... no doubt your splitter would be front cover material... with a full spread inside...

thanks again for the link. I enjoyed with eyes wide open... :sweet: my fast run thru your pictorial. I will go back and read it for detail... :reading: study your thinking, design and approach. it is well documented, no doubt much to be learned there...

I can relate to your wanting less straining and bending over. me, too! just today I said having scrounged in a bunch of oak... 2 day project, even today all afternoon in the rain (dedicated) lol, well tomorrow the city will prob haul the pile off, gotta striked while the iron is hot... (rains and wet, cold Seattle like weather aside, sometimes timing is everything! either you want it, or you don't!) well, I said.... ok, bub! ... now the work begins! [cutting, splitting and stacking] I am influenced much by what I see here on the AS. certainly with all the unique splitters, setups and useage. I am rethinking how I can set up my splitting operation to reduce the straining and bending over...

I recently found the AS as a result of researching more indepth the techniques for chain saw cylinder porting... it didn't take me too long to realize, omg... this place is a woodcutter's Mecca! so much to see and do... and your awesome log splitter is just one example why. designing, cutting, welding, drilling, pinning, reaming, hudraulics.... Gzzz

very nice!

:)

It's a 5 inch cylinder with around 2750 PSI behind it so the math guys with the charts can tell you the true tonnage. I appreciate the kind words and I always have liked building stuff. Farming teaches you a lot about repairing stuff so it won't break again and my years there gave me invaluable skills that have helped me through the years. I tend to invest funds into tools and machinery rather than new cars and trips so it has built up over the years. It's all in what you enjoy I guess.

I do a lot of things with some basic tools. It may take longer but you can get there eventually. Taking on side jobs and putting those funds into buying the next tool that will make things easier/faster. It's the same approach I take with wood heating. Funds not paid to the oil man have been put into materials to make things easier, Stove, conveyor, splitter, saws, etc. I've never paid for propane, oil or gas to heat my home. I'd rather pay a German for a saw and an American for a Boiler. I'll throw the Arabs a bone for fuel for the saw and truck to haul though!:dancing:

The truck was featured in a auto parts store calendar this year. Had several photographers say they would get with me for a magazine thing but they never call and I don't actively pursue it. Started taking it to shows locally and it has done really well. I did trailer it for the first time out to Iowa for the national rally for these trucks a couple years ago. Had to do it once as we are kind of a family and was pleasantly surprised when it won Best Military Dodge and Best of Show.

If there is one thing I've learned over the years, it is this. If you have the desire and willingness to try to do something. that is half the battle. May take a while but if you don't give up, you'll get there.

Latest posts

Back