ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Shower leak making me crazy....

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by PA. Woodsman, Jun 28, 2019.

1. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Addicted to ArboristSite

We have a shower enclosure that is 29 years old so yes we will be replacing it soon, it has had leak issues off and on over some years but I always could fix them with caulk. Well, it leaked in a few other places a bit ago so I removed any old caulk that came out and replaced it with silicone UNLESS it was the DAP kind of caulk that is not silicone, if it was in good shape I just went over it with the same kind, I have done this many times and it has worked, we had no leaks for about 3 weeks so I thought it was fixed but wouldn't you know it today after the wife showered I saw a small amount of water stain again dripping under the unit in the basement. I looked closely at the caulking that is to the right going up the side wall inside the shower where I suspect the issue had been and it looked fine, this is an old unit that snapped together it is not a one piece like is made today that we will be replacing it with, but I just can't fathom WHY the leak would've stopped for about 3 weeks and now started again? And if it is something other than the caulk what is it? Weeks ago the wife was downstairs watching as I ran just the water (no shower), no leak.....have taken baths with a full tub of water in, no leaks....ran the shower on hot water only, no leaks, ran it on cold water only no leaks until a bit went by then she said "it's leaking", so I caulked the afore mentioned area which seemed to have been the problem spot in the past, used the DAP caulk because it always did correct the problem before even though it's not silicone and we had no leaks for 3 weeks, if it had not dried we would've had leaks before this I would think right away, WHY is it leaking again? If there were cracks in the fiberglass itself the caulk wouldn't have stopped that, if it was a pipe we would see that as there is a cutaway section in the floor under it that I can look up and also feel for leaks, but it seems to be fine....

Again we are going to replace it as it has more than served it's time but I just can't wrap my head around what it is that is causing this now after 3 weeks of no leak!!!! :confused: :mad: :angry:

stihlaficionado likes this.
  2. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

The "leak" has your number & is just "leaking" to piss you off.

Shower pan may be toast or the drain connection goofed up in some way...man, 29 years.
    Take some pics if you take at all apart, may make some great :wtf: pics

I'd give Unc a call ...

3. PA. Woodsman

Ha ha!!!! I put another coating of caulk up that seam a few hours ago, smoothed it out and we'll see what happens. I also have the tub filled with water for weight, last time I put several 42 pound boxes of cat litter in there for weight this time I filled the tub, maybe a cat or two will take a bath lol!

Another "clue" is with the water weight in there I had made sure that I dried any loose water in the area that was right inside the shower door track where it lays, caulked and left it go. I just looked at it a few minutes ago and there was some water laying in the same spot again, right inside the shower ledge next to the door track, if you are standing in it it is to your right slightly in front of you say like "2 o'clock", where the hell would that have come out of? There are no drain plugs for water to get in or out of the door tracking, very strange...

Oh you are right, it's toying with me!!!

Stowe Boy likes this.
  4. cantoo

cantoo Addicted to ArboristSite

PA, don't laugh until you try it.

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  5. PA. Woodsman

Honest to God I mentioned using Flex Seal so that might just be the answer lol!!!!

6. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

If you're fixing a shower leak with caulk and more caulk, then there's likely something wrong with the shower or the install.
    Time to call Uncle Moustache Home Improvements. :rock2:

7. PA. Woodsman

I tried them once already for a sink leak, after they were done when I turned my water on the garage door would open lol!!! :D :p

Well, I put more of that DAP what I call "softer" caulk on like was already in this problem area, and smoothed it out with a latex gloved finger, let it dry 26 hours and I just took a shower and there are no leaks. But it usually seems to leak when the wife uses it, she takes hotter, longer showers than I do so I am thinking she causes that "softer" caulk to break down faster and it just seeps through again, but no leak after I used it tonight, but after she uses it will be the test. And if I have to apply a coating of that softer stuff every so often that's what I'll do if that stops it, we really should redo the whole bathroom but you know I'm not looking forward to that but she is, maybe she's sabotaging things on purpose so it DOES leak to say "see, we really need a new one" ha!!!

And I also remembered another "clue", a few years ago I wasn't home and a plumber looked at it when it was leaking since I couldn't pinpoint that leak that time and he found it was leaking around the plate that is around the handle that you turn the water on and off, hot and cold, but he used this softer caulk also and after 3 days it leaked again! But since I knew where it was I went over it with silicone and it hasn't leaked there since, but that lends creedence to my theory about the softer stuff wearing off faster.

I just might use this Flex Seal like Cantoo said!!!!

unclemoustache likes this.
  8. PA. Woodsman

Last week I put on a 3rd coating of this "softer" caulk and let it dry a long time and so far there have been no leaks so I HOPE that takes care of it, I will check it every so often and if I have to reapply some more from time to time then that's what I'll do.

But it reminds me of Quint in "Jaws" when he says "he can't go under with 3 barrels in him, not with 3 barrels he can't" except I say "it can't leak with 3 coats on it, it just can't!!!" :D :p :mad:

farmer steve and stihlaficionado like this.
  9. stihlaficionado

Mr Leak is just biding his time ...lulling you into a false sense of euphoria*:popcorn2:

*I'd have the 4th, 5th -10th coat ready just in case

farmer steve and PA. Woodsman like this.
  10. stillhunter

stillhunter Addicted to ArboristSite

maybe the leak is coming from from the valve and running down the inside of the plastic wall/tub and not down the piping?

farmer steve and Flint Mitch like this.
  11. PA. Woodsman

I don't think so, there is a cut out underneath the tub/shower in the basement that I can look up through and it doesn't appear to be that. Plus it only happens intermittently, I would think a pipe/valve leak would be constant? But when I get enough caulk in this corner strip area the problem goes away, so I think and hope that is it!

farmer steve and stihlaficionado like this.
  12. TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm no plumber, but, seems to me calk won't fix your leak, it's just hiding it form view.

13. PA. Woodsman

Well so far so good, plus I can easily see it when it leaks so we'll see!

TNTreeHugger likes this.
  14. stihlaficionado

A possible issue if if the water is collecting behind the caulk, rotting something slowly over time

PA. Woodsman and TNTreeHugger like this.
  15. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

I went through the same thing a couple months ago. When I attempted to "fix" the Delta shower valve, I made it worse, and had to call a local plumber. The access to the shower fixtured was sheet-rocked-over when the house was built in '91. Our local plumber is named "Messy Jesse", but he's good and reasonable. Good luck!

16. TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger Addicted to ArboristSite

I think we need a photo to better diagnose the problem, don't you? :D

17. stihlaficionado

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Throw in a pic of your 346 to make it even more interesting

18. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

How about some nice moustaches??

Custer, George, General.jpg Earp, Wyatt.jpg Holmes, Oliver Wendell.jpg

19. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

Why caulk? Dig the joint out and regrout it then keep the new grout dry so it hardens then water proof seal it.

20. PA. Woodsman

It's a fiberglass unit and that's what was on it. It's holding up just fine after this last application , so far so good!

farmer steve likes this.