Sick Cedars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarHole

Reaction score
I live in Gig Harbor and after this last winter, I noticed a bunch of trees on the property is dying. I hired a logging team to take down some of the trees due to them being so close to the house. Some of the trees were Cedar trees and when they were cut down some issues were found. Please see the pictures. They are rotting from the middle out. What is wrong with them? What can I do to save some of them? Are they sick and if so, what are they sick with? Is it contagious to other trees? Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. I am so saddened we had to remove these guys and I don't want to lose anymore of them.

Attachments

• Cedar 1.jpg
    Cedar 1.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 14
  • cedar 2.jpg
    cedar 2.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 14
  • cedar3.jpg
    cedar3.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 16
  • cedar4.jpg
    cedar4.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 14
  • cedar5.jpg
    cedar5.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 14
I live in Gig Harbor and after this last winter, I noticed a bunch of trees on the property is dying. I hired a logging team to take down some of the trees due to them being so close to the house. Some of the trees were Cedar trees and when they were cut down some issues were found. Please see the pictures. They are rotting from the middle out. What is wrong with them? What can I do to save some of them? Are they sick and if so, what are they sick with? Is it contagious to other trees? Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. I am so saddened we had to remove these guys and I don't want to lose anymore of them.
Fairly standard cedar butt rot, its incredibly common and generally not lethal to the tree, I'm not entirely sure of the cause, other then likely just the effects of age. Cedars can have off years as well, where they don't get as many needles and look sick or yellow, but bounce back the next year, once again I'm not an ologist so I couldn't tell ya why

Hopefully they arranged for the logs to be taken to a mill? And hopefully if they did go to a mill they compensated you for em?

Fairly standard cedar butt rot, its incredibly common and generally not lethal to the tree, I'm not entirely sure of the cause, other then likely just the effects of age. Cedars can have off years as well, where they don't get as many needles and look sick or yellow, but bounce back the next year, once again I'm not an ologist so I couldn't tell ya why

Hopefully they arranged for the logs to be taken to a mill? And hopefully if they did go to a mill they compensated you for em?

Thank you so much! They did go to the mill and we should be compensate. I hope thinning out some of the trees will help the others. Thanks again.

There is something attacking some of the Cedars here in town as well as the Blue Spruce. I'm guessing a beetle on the Spruce but most bugs don't like Cedar.

Back