Sick Purpleleaf Plum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdrake68

Reaction score
We have a purpleleaf plum tree in our front yard that has developed a "web" at it's main branch point. The web looks like a very dense spider web. My husband and I are afraid to remove it without asking someone because we are worried it will hurt the tree. Can you help, any suggestions would be welcome.

We also have a Japanese dogwood that has been late in leafing out. At the end of summer last year it looked like it was dying - the leaves started turning brown/black and withering and looked moldy. What are the chances of it's survival?

pdrake68,
I would say you probably got a moth or butterfly nest. It could be a spider (probably not). When they hatch they will eat the foliage off the tree. So you have to decide whether you like your tree or caterpillars more.
As for the dogwood. Was it in a heavily watered area or shaded? Sounds like mildew. Mature dogwood usually always get scale on them. But it wouldnt turn the leaves black. If it doesnt leaf out, it doesnt look good.
Good luck,
Darin

Back