Sick tree help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Ma

Reaction score
hi all
I have a home on the north fork of Long Island New York. There’s a tree in my front yard I love. In years past it blooms and has berries, but the last 2years it hasn’t been doing great. The lower branches all died and got covered with lichen. Now the leaves look sick. Any idea what tree it is and what I should do to help it?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 8B52849B-9E85-4D28-84EE-3A165F7E47C9.jpeg
    8B52849B-9E85-4D28-84EE-3A165F7E47C9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 93E6C399-7E24-4D1E-97C8-30A6167CB856.jpeg
    93E6C399-7E24-4D1E-97C8-30A6167CB856.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
That is a crabapple with multiple things going on... There is at least some leaf spot and apple scab. These are both easy to control but timing is CRITICAL. The first spray needs to go on right as the buds are breaking. Depending on which fungicide you use, it will need retreated about every 2 weeks until the leaves are hardened off and/or the weather is such that the leaves are not sitting wet for several hours (especially overnight). I tell people to count on 3 sprays per year. There were some that put their leaves out so late this year, then it got hot and dry, that they look good with one spray (that is a rarity!). 2 is not uncommon. 4 is a possibility.

There is nothing to do about that now. If you have somebody out who wants to treat it now for the leaf problems, run away! They either don't know what they are doing or are trying to rip you off.

Thank you! It doesn’t produce apples only red berries.
Are you saying there’s nothing to be done until next spring? Should I spray it now? What spray do you recommend? Should I prune it?

That is a crabapple with multiple things going on... There is at least some leaf spot and apple scab. These are both easy to control but timing is CRITICAL. The first spray needs to go on right as the buds are breaking. Depending on which fungicide you use, it will need retreated about every 2 weeks until the leaves are hardened off and/or the weather is such that the leaves are not sitting wet for several hours (especially overnight). I tell people to count on 3 sprays per year. There were some that put their leaves out so late this year, then it got hot and dry, that they look good with one spray (that is a rarity!). 2 is not uncommon. 4 is a possibility.

There is nothing to do about that now. If you have somebody out who wants to treat it now for the leaf problems, run away! They either don't know what they are doing or are trying to rip you off.

Captan fungicide does a good job.

Remove the fallen leaves to try to reduce the fungal spores right there. Otherwise, nothing that it needs now.

Latest posts

Back