Sick Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lahdon

Reaction score
Hi, I have been having a problem with this tree for the past 2 years and cannot pinpoint the problem for why it seems like the tree is dying. There is moss type stuff all over the branches but I do not believe that is the cause of what is happening. The bark is starting to split and crack all over the tree and is starting to make me think this tree is not gonna make it if I don't start to act. What I have noticed is where the roots are there is a huge gap from the tree to the ground but I am not entirely sure what is causing this or if that is even a problem. I am completely lost for what the problem is and have attached pictures in hopes someone will be able to give me some insight on what the problem is.

Attachments

• IMG-2871.JPG
    IMG-2871.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2877.JPG
    IMG-2877.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG-2878.JPG
    IMG-2878.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG-2990.JPG
    IMG-2990.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
The tree appears to have taken in water through where the branches fork out from the main trunk.
Debris builds up in a crevice and begins to rot out allowing water in, therefore hollowing the inside of the trunk.
Also from what I can tell from the location, this tree is probably in a well watered flower bed, so water inside is not able to be absorbed by the ground and is retained in the base of the tree causing progressed rotting.
There is no way to repair this or prevent further internal rotting, so you have to determine if/when it does fall if not removed, can it cause any damage to anything?
The "growth" on the tree is Lichen and is considered non-harmful (although there are mixed views on this), and is in fact used by environmentalists to study air quality in different regions due to its self-sustainability.

I've never seen creditable "mixed views" in lichens... agree, they are harmless to the tree.

The landscape fabric is not good. Inhibits air and water exchange.

Some structural problems that should have been corrected with pruning.

Tough to tell much else from those pics.

Lots of rot/decay going on inside and out, no chance of reversing damage , saw dust from either borer or ants. The tree is a structural mess ,enjoy while you can but remove it before it can damage anything. Lichens are no an issue..Agreed.

Back