ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Side Jobs?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Ryan A, Jan 3, 2019.

1. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

The one thing I found while doing this . I was working to cheap . The more I work I made less . The word work means moving something . Anybody can push or pull really hard an if nothing moves it is not called work . You have to move to something to. create work. I will say there are not many robust young people any more . You seem like a robust person . And in very much in need . I tell why we need a border wall some are a scared they get traded for better workers . Build a 6 billion moat with a castel just to prevent to get your butt traded off . What a deal .I get kids out of high school that can not touch toes with out losing there breath . These young people are going to build nothing but debt an anger . To save bunch of money would be trade them out

2. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

Do we need a Mod?:eek:

Save more $ for retirement. Don't rely on SS because there is a very good chance it will be greatly scaled back by the time you are ready to
    collect, max out your investment options at work too

I commend you....here the starting wage for a new teacher, no experience (outside of student teaching) is $40K, even in the rural districts.

farmer steve and unclemoustache like this.
  3. aokpops

Some nice stuff really . I help build custom homes for over 30 years . Winter is hard nature to build in for some reason roof lines seems like what I do . They are mercy less . Even as young kid I would look at rafters an think . How did this happen ? Climb the monkey bars like a champ . To be some kind of roof guy .

sixonetonoffun likes this.
  4. aokpops

cantoo likes this.
  5. Ryan A

Ryan A ArboristSite Operative

I’ve had a 403b for the last 11 years and contributing to my own state pension since then as well. I currently teach innner city special eduction and if I can hang on for a little while longer, there is an incentive to pay off 66% of my student loan debt if you teach for X years in the type of school I’m in.

As far as side jobs, I think diversifying what I do( little of this, little of that) would help with supplemental income.

stihlaficionado and farmer steve like this.
  6. SamT1

SamT1 ArboristSite Operative

My real job is pretty well 9-5 M-F in the firewood season so they mesh up well. I need something in the summer, but don’t have lots of time.

I make good money, but the wife doesn’t work and without extra income it’s rice and beans and broke cars. We don’t have any debt or payments besides the house. House eats my check on a 15 year note and taxes have doubled since I bought the place 4 years ago. I probably contribute too much to retirement, but the rate of gain the last 10 years that ive been of age has been horrific for me. It would probably be a wash if it was all in a pillow case.

I’ve missed a bonus the last 4 years, I keep telling my wife “next year”. We will keep doing the side hustle for now vs using debt until that bonus comes in.

Ryan'smilling likes this.
  7. Ryan A

Ryan A ArboristSite Operative

What’s your side hustle?

8. SamT1

SamT1 ArboristSite Operative

Firewood.

9. Frank34

Frank34 New Member

I invest in stocks and real estate, it provides me a a nice passive income. People usually think it takes lots of time and effort to keep track of your investments but if you are in the business for a long time like me and know the nature of the markets it's easy peasy. For example today it's even easier to obtain high yield properties in this political environment in countries such as Germany and Greece . Just a little tip for my fellow workers. :yes: