Side work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueRidgeMark said:
You are a theif.
Oh my God, Treelos little biach speaks up. Used a saw for a few hours omfg, the end is coming, Jesus is coming, look busy.

Nickrosis said:
Whoa, ease off on the stupid pills!

:D

That's probably the best answer, but on the off chance that there's some remote possiblity of learning here....

userdude, this may come as a surprise to you, but in most trades employees are required to provide some of their basic tools, and often certain items of clothing, such as safety shoes. Standard stuff. Been that way for several hundred years, all the way back to the old time guilds. You agreed to that when you took the job. Your employer PROBABLY didn't agree to have you use his equipment for side work. Unless he did, you are stealing when you do that, just the same as if you took cash from the till.

Personally I don't think userdude's question is stoopid....sure i should supply some of my own gear, but where's the point when ishould be compensated, eh? I've got my own saddle, spurs, cuttin pants, climbing lines (cuz the boss' are ratty) and have even brought my own saw lately cuz the company's are crap...finally he bought a new one...but is this stealing? I'm making him profit with my own stuff...I personally think i'm due something...funny, all the bosses think its ridiculous to think its stealing when they're using are stuff but if we use their stuff we're scum...personally the only thing i've used from the boss, (other than the gas that left over in my jet bottles) has been a pair of secateers...i wouldn't use his stuff on principle but i do feel i'm owed something...

Okay, let me try this one more time....

When you took the job, you agreed to supply some of your own gear. If you agreed to it, he isn't stealing. He has your permission.

Your boss did NOT agree to let you use his stuff to do side work. If he didn't agree to you using his stuff, you are taking something without his permission.

That's called stealing.

i used the company equipment to do a cashie this week guy walked up to us on the job asking if we could t/d a smallish tree,i split it with the guy working with me.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Okay, let me try this one more time....

When you took the job, you agreed to supply some of your own gear. If you agreed to it, he isn't stealing. He has your permission.

Your boss did NOT agree to let you use his stuff to do side work. If he didn't agree to you using his stuff, you are taking something without his permission.

That's called stealing.
I sense a man suffering guilt, what is the big freaking deal Mark? Why is everything so cut and dried to you? I remember earlier when the death of a faller in BC came up and you said in regards to the mans girlfriend getting assistance, "shack jobs don't count". At the time I just thought a large lack of tact and compassion but now the theme has been continued. I sense someone who has "sinned" earlier in life and now has to compensate for this by throwing stones of black in a grey world, strange, but there must be an underlying reason. Let me guess the response "I just don't like thieves"......... I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist by any means but I sense something much deeper at work here.

Nickrosis said:
Whoa, ease off on the stupid pills!

Funny what a man will say to another through forums, or over the phone, but in person....It's OK Nick. I always thought you may have 'a 'lil sugar in the tank' anyway.
BlueRidge: When I started with this company I DID NOT AGREE to suppy: ALL climbing gear/saw, Port-a-wrap, 200ft. lowering line, Big Shot, slick line/bags, slings, etc. THEY DID agree that I could use their saw on side work if I needed. Like I said, the forester (boss) hooked me up with the job. Do you have a better understanding now? Or, do you wanna go jumping to conclusions again?

same here bro...i didn't agree to supply all my gear...some, yes but i started supplying my own lines and saw cuz the boss kept telling me he's getting new stuff...come monday...same old ratty lines...plus i even started bringing my own sling and block cuz everything can't always be natural crotched like the boss thinks....as for buddy who said i get my paycheck for what i supply...my labour=paycheck, using my gear to make him more money than i get should equal either some new gear for me, or sharesies... he uses my stuff i use hes... i was taught that in pre school

Guys with kit are definitely worth more money.
If you're not being compensated...
It's time to re-negotiate

I agree, if you are supplying more than what you agreed to then it is time to renegotiate with the boss. Yes he is stealing from you by using your equipment without compensating you for it. The only question there is..did he ever ask you to bring in your own equipment, or do you just prefer it and he allows you to use it? Because if you are using your own equipment out of preference, rather than need, he owes you nothing, but if he is requesting you to bring in your own equipment to do his job...you should be compensated..and (probably commended).

Yes it is true...business owners, and employees, have a side to say in this matter. Both of them when they abuse the initial contract can be considered thieves, and both can find a means to justify themselves.

In reality, our discussions will probably never influence eachother's opinions, (it seems like a pretty hard-headed group in here....mostly anyway) everyone seems pretty set in their own ideological regimes.
:givebeer:
Insulting eachother does not help, nor does the name calling, or the patronizing. Threats...over the internet???grow up people.

It does however make for interesting and humorous reading.

:cheers:

Insurance...treeguy020

hey treeguy020, couldnt find a email on ya...quick question...who did you go through for insurance on that...

is it insurance for your self or property.

And what are you paying.

email [email protected]

Back