silicone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOWC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
when I change a cylinder out and install a new base gasket should I put any red silicone on it or not? just wondering what you guys are doing

In my opinion silicon is more of a gasket maker not a dressing. If you have deep pitting or gouges I would use silicon and have on many gaskets with no trouble
Fuel really shouldn't get to the silicone anyway so it would probably work, but why take the chance. I agree base gaskets don't need any sealant if things are in good shape, they come from the factory without.

Permatex ultra copper is good for gasket dressing, it is highly resistant to gasoline.

I believe this is the product you're talking about?https://www.permatex.com/products/g...rmatex-copper-spray-a-gasket-hi-temp-sealant/ I've used it when using thin paper gaskets.

81878.png

Light coating of Motoseal on both sides. Bolt it down and when you remove it, be ready to use force or bump it with a rubber mallet. Gasket will not be coming off in one piece and takes extra time scraping case clean. If checking squish using a gasket, do that before finial install and coating gasket, then vac check.

You can laugh, but have used Duct Tape or vinyl repair tape to block off exhaust and intake ports for vacuum check and it works. Not so much for pressure.

Me too. Usually have to hold hand pressure on it too. I hear Gorilla tape is the best for this makeshift procedure.

Latest posts

Back