Silver Maple Staff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got tired of waiting to find just the right tools and the tools to sharpen them before starting a project, so I went back to my staff idea.
Used my trusty sawsall to cut down the tree, I had lopped off the top a couple years ago and it was a cull anyway - but has a nice straight trunk.
I planted it as a seedling.

Used my ancient rusty ax, that I knocked off the layer of rust using 80 grit sandpaper, and used it and a brick to split the trunk - well, until the brick shattered, then I used a rock, until the ax head was lower that the top of the trunk, and then I used a hammer to drive the ax all the way down.
Now, when wood is wet with sap, is probably not the best time of year to do this.:p

The closest thing I have to a hatchet is a gardening "tiller" for flowers and veggies. Brand new, never used, so the edge was decent, but not sharp.

After about 30 minutes I got the hang of it and my aim greatly improved.
Decided to leave the bit of bark at one end, for the top of the staff.

Getting back to it after lunch. :drinkingcoffee:
maplestaff.jpg

Watched this video last night and learned I've been cutting all wrong. :dizzy:

Practiced tonight and it was much better, 100% control of the knife, less tension and strain using just the thumb of the non-knife holding hand to push the blade.
Here's what I've got so far...
032921b (2).JPG

Well, hells bells. Wish I'd found this video a week ago...

Noticed a crack starting today in the knot end of the staff. Change of plans... I was going to try to carve a face on the backside of the knot.
Used my new hatchet to chop the knot off and used a suggestion from the first video I watched on making a green wood staff and cut a groove around the staff, put in some wood glue for extra measure, then wrapped some cord around it.
Keeping it outside now when not working on it. :dizzy: Wish I knew that sooner. Maybe I can save it.
crack2.jpg

Maple knots are pretty darn hard to cut.

For a cut like that I use the beveled engraving blade, it takes some practice and experience to use and get it right but it gives good results when mastered. Some carvers use Dremel like tools for fine work, they work but again it takes practice and its a learning experience to get the feel for them.

For a cut like that I use the beveled engraving blade, it takes some practice and experience to use and get it right but it gives good results when mastered. Some carvers use Dremel like tools for fine work, they work but again it takes practice and its a learning experience to get the feel for them.
I'd rather do it "by hand" and not use a power tool.
Can you post a link, or photo? I don't see anything specific in a google search.
I recently bought this set on ebay, would any of these be good?
DSC05234.jpg

I am about ready to make another walking staff, I was out in the woods checking out a spacing job a couple weeks back and the ground is littered with thousands of really nice straight fresh cut saplings. There was one that called out to me as I stepped over a pile of brush and it stuck with me for most of the 4 hours I spent walking that 8 acre cut. On my way back I again seen this yellow birch sapling, its silver striped bark shining in the low angle sun, so I stooped and picked it up, checked it over and decided to carry it out, sliced the top off and carried it back to the truck. Its been drying since and I am going to leave the bark on it since its so distinctive.

I am about ready to make another walking staff, I was out in the woods checking out a spacing job a couple weeks back and the ground is littered with thousands of really nice straight fresh cut saplings. There was one that called out to me as I stepped over a pile of brush and it stuck with me for most of the 4 hours I spent walking that 8 acre cut. On my way back I again seen this yellow birch sapling, its silver striped bark shining in the low angle sun, so I stooped and picked it up, checked it over and decided to carry it out, sliced the top off and carried it back to the truck. Its been drying since and I am going to leave the bark on it since its so distinctive.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Back