Silver maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPT

Love my saws
Reaction score
I have about two cords of silver maple that was cut split and stacked back in April. It is small splits and it takes right off in the stove and burns up fast. But....it puts off low amounts of heat.

Does my silver maple need more seasoning or is it really just that low on btu's? I have seen its btu rating on charts compared to others.

Thanks.

It leaves lots of ash in the stove and the stack is blocking where I need to blow my leaves off the yard (I didnt think about that when I stacked it), so I'm trying to burn it up.

Only way to really know is to buy a moisture meter and take a reading on a fresh split. Dry Silver usually burns hot and fast. It does leave a lot of ash.
You're right. I have a moisture meter, I'll test a piece today.

That’s pretty much what you get with Silver Maple..splits easy and seasons fast but dries light and doesn’t offer great heat.

I get a truck load or so a year of it for camping but usually Silver Maple gets pushed into piles and burned in the woods and never makes it to a firewood stack.

Check the moisture for a reference point.

If you need that pile for this years heat ....Burn it. If the moisture is a bit high you are going to have to mix it with others. Probably no more that 2 pc mixed in a full load.

JMO.

Any kind of maple (seasoned) should have NO problem getting your stove VERY hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s all part of the learning curve of what wood types you pursue ... I’ve got a certain amount of time and space I allot to firewood and I don’t mess around with “OK” stuff.
I'm figuring that out. This is my second year of burning wood to heat with. I have a buddy who has a silver maple down in his yard, said I could have it but I'm not sure I even want to mess with it now. I've got 5-6 cords of white oak split and stacked over the last few weeks for next year and have a couple other sources of downed oaks to get.

Your crazy if you turn down that maple and you have the time to do it. [emoji23]

No offense [emoji106][emoji2532]

In one year that maple will be GREAT fire wood. And if its split smaller and stacked in the sun and wind all day like my piles....Its will be good in 8 months.

I have learned to not be picky. If most any wood is seasoned it will burn good.

I'm figuring that out. This is my second year of burning wood to heat with. I have a buddy who has a silver maple down in his yard, said I could have it but I'm not sure I even want to mess with it now. I've got 5-6 cords of white oak split and stacked over the last few weeks for next year and have a couple other sources of downed oaks to get.
Save your energy for good wood .. I’d burn Willow or Cottonwood if I had to but for now I pass on stuff like Silver Maple. For the most part all types of trees take roughly the same effort to process into fuel, why use your time and the space you have set aside for junk wood?

If it was offered io me I'd grab it.

I missed the point in time were maple became junk..... im really lost here. Maple is great wood. Easy on chains, splits easy, dries reasonable quick, burns good.... what am i missing...? Are we concerned about how much the wood “ashes”...? This seems silly.

The green maple i cut and had split in March holds over night burns for me no problem And puts out LOTS of heat getting me to my 600 stove top temp real easy.

I know everyone has their own experiences and opinions and this is just mine. I respect all of them. I just did not know that some people actually turned down maple.

Good luck to you OP, let us know how it goes and what you figure out.

I was mainly just surprised by how much hotter oak burns than silver maple. I'll burn the maple but will be going after oak first if its available. Like I say, this is my second year and last year I was able to scrounge up about 3 cords of 4-5 year old wood that burned hot and fast but I couldn't tell what most of it was. It's kind of nice to have several different stacks of different species. Right now I have silver maple, willow oak, chestnut oak, red oak, and white oak....all separate stacks.

I've got 5-6 cords of white oak split and stacked over the last few weeks for next year

Do you mean to burn in a indoor wood stove, indoors, next year? And you just split/stacked it the last few weeks? May want to research seasoning Oak. Just saying. Not being a arse!

Your crazy if you turn down that maple and you have the time to do it.
emoji23.png

No offense
emoji106.png
emoji2532.png

In one year that maple will be GREAT fire wood. And if its split smaller and stacked in the sun and wind all day like my piles....Its will be good in 8 months.

I have learned to not be picky. If most any wood is seasoned it will burn good.

Agreed:yes:

Latest posts

Back