• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Silvey 600 precision chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When I got this it had only been tried out once by the previous owner.
I've had it for @ 5 years(?) and I don't think I've run 20 chains through it.
I only cut @ 2 cord of firewood a year so it should go to a better home (and I could use the $).
I believe this model was before the 510(?) but, looking at the pictures online I can't see any difference,
except this one is green. The worklight bulb is burnt out and I haven't looked for a new one.
The orig. 8" wheel for 3/8"and .404 is on it and I have a never-mounted 8" wheel for .325 that I seem to have misplaced but hope to find for you.
Asking $400
Shipping would be a problem. This thing is heavy. I'm in VT at 05739.
The truck at work travels to MA, CT, NY, NJ so maybe you could meet the truck somewhere?
I'd entertain other ideas of how to get it to you. I don't mind building a crate but...

I'll be happy to un-mount it from my bench and take good pics all-around for a buyer.

Just busting your chops buddy
...well go big then! lol (I love this pic)

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

When I got this it had only been tried out once by the previous owner.
I've had it for @ 5 years(?) and I don't think I've run 20 chains through it.
I only cut @ 2 cord of firewood a year so it should go to a better home (and I could use the $).
I believe this model was before the 510(?) but, looking at the pictures online I can't see any difference,
except this one is green. The worklight bulb is burnt out and I haven't looked for a new one.
The orig. 8" wheel for 3/8"and .404 is on it and I have a never-mounted 8" wheel for .325 that I seem to have misplaced but hope to find for you.
Asking $400
Shipping would be a problem. This thing is heavy. I'm in VT at 05739.
The truck at work travels to MA, CT, NY, NJ so maybe you could meet the truck somewhere?
I'd entertain other ideas of how to get it to you. I don't mind building a crate but...

Hi Brian -
If it works as it should I will buy it from you and pay for shipping.
Can you please send me some photos at [email protected]
I wouldn't need the stand and that should save on shipping.
Thanks -
- Stuart Herder

Hi Brian -
If it works as it should I will buy it from you and pay for shipping.
Can you please send me some photos at [email protected]
I wouldn't need the stand and that should save on shipping.
Thanks -
- Stuart Herder

Hi Brian -
The photos didn't load in my browser the first time but now they do so now I'm good on photos.
I promise to give it a new home and - in a way - it's going home because I'm from Oregon and now live in Virginia at area code 22310.
My goal is to set up a chain sharpening business and I would look forward to using this machine every day.
I'll gladly pay shipping and thanks for the offer to crate it - but I hope it doesn't come to that.
I look forward to hearing from you -
- Stuart Herder
Alexandria, Virginia

Thanks for all the interest.
I would have given priority to a buyer that didn't need it crated and shipped but all the offers have involved shipping.
CM76 was the 1st of those to say he'd take it so it's going to Australia.

Thanks for all the interest.
I would have given priority to a buyer that didn't need it crated and shipped but all the offers have involved shipping.
CM76 was the 1st of those to say he'd take it so it looks like it's going to Australia.

Brian -
If the sale to Australia falls through, I will crawl up to Vermont to get the grinder - because I am that interested.
Also - I have a friend who has a house in Waitsfield and they drive right by you on VT-10 when they go up there and they could pick it up next time they visit.
Just a thought and thanks for posting your ad - it gives me hope that there are still good Silvey grinders out there for sale!!
Regards -
- Stuart Herder

I wish I had 20 of them to sell.
It's too bad they went out of business. They made a great product.

Brian - like I said earlier - if the guy blinks please chat me up - I missed being the proud owner of your grinder yesterday because I was out in my shop - sharpening some chains for a friend - when you posted your ad. How's that for irony?
BTW - rumor has it that Ray Silvey became upset because of what he saw as increasing Government regulations on his products and the forestry industry and that's why he shut the company down. I got that from a guy at Madsen's - they used to be a big Silvey dealer in the Pacific Northwest.
Regards -
- Stuart Herder

BTW - rumor has it that Ray Silvey became upset because of what he saw as increasing Government regulations on his products and the forestry industry and that's why he shut the company down.
I believe that. Gubment crap which gives the lawyers ammo. to sue Silvey for making the grinder that sharpened the chain that cut the person using that chain on a chainsaw. It could be that the liability insurance that he needed to carry might have cut into his bottom line enough that they couldn't remain profitable. So...we're left to buy Chinese crap.

You're not talking about that silly Heady Topper, are you? $4 per beer?
I'd rather buy Yuengling. I usually grab a case when I go to NY. They don't bring it to VT.

BTW - rumor has it that Ray Silvey became upset because of what he saw as increasing Government regulations on his products and the forestry industry and that's why he shut the company down. ....................................

It might also be the fact that they built a quality product that rarely if ever needed to be replaced. There customer base also is limited. If you couple a quality product with a limited customer base you will not sell many new units. Think about how long it has been since they built a BarShop?

Back