Silvey Grinders may be going out of business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Silvey swingarm was a copy of the Simington.

I have never used any of the square grinders, and the different Silvey models made things somewhat confusing. How each grinder works was a little clearer when I at least got to see/touch them at Madsen's.

People seem to have opinions on the different models of Silvey so I assume that there are some comparing the Simington vs Silvey? The Simington videos makes using that machine a little clearer. Advantages? Disadvantages?

Philbert

The swing arm is the simplest to use. The wheel will need dressing more than a SDM 4 or pro sharp since the chain feeds across the corner. The higher end ones feed in on an angle and keep the corner longer.

If you're getting a beak on some chains you're a little low with the corner. A beak low is better than being too high in the top plate.

No,

this chain had a beak where the side plate meets the top plate.

AND it had another in the middle of the side plate. two beaks!

Where have you seen a chain of mine with a crazy "beak"?

Me thinks you told me you had it on a ported 880 with a 10 pin?

It was several years back, but I remember I had to shorten it for my 153 with an 8 pin.

It was .375 semi skip .063.

It's a work of art no mater who or how it was done.

It's been a couple years since I've had it off the saw, I am just assuming it's .063 since it is a 50" bar.

I do remember it was a Stihl semi skip.

No,

this chain had a beak where the side plate meets the top plate.

AND it had another in the middle of the side plate. two beaks!

2 beaks......1 on top and 1 in the middle....... Yikes!

Remember this sachsmo.......a smooth cutting chain is a fast cutting chain!

I have never used any of the square grinders, and the different Silvey models made things somewhat confusing. How each grinder works was a little clearer when I at least got to see/touch them at Madsen's.

People seem to have opinions on the different models of Silvey so I assume that there are some comparing the Simington vs Silvey? The Simington videos makes using that machine a little clearer. Advantages? Disadvantages?

Philbert

I have used and owned both Silvey & Simington swingarm grinders. The later model Simingtons (451 b&c) have superior adjustments. I sold the Silvey. Still have two Simington's.

On that 50" Cannon.

How did you do that chain?

I never ground that 50" chain because I never used it. It must have been factory. On the 880 I used a 9 pin with a 36" bar. The only time that Cannon was on saws of mine was for a picture.
I am pretty anal about my chains, no beaks or half moons for me.

I have used and owned both Silvey & Simington swingarm grinders. The later model Simingtons (451 b&c) have superior adjustments. I sold the Silvey. Still have two Simington's.

devonhubb,I took a look at the simington web site.Looks like Kelly the guy building the grinder is a one man band.Can you grind the rakers with this grinder?It's to bad Silvey is going out of business,but there is simington still making a USA made grinder.Hope they can hold on.I will place a order with them in a mouth or so.I just like that it made here in America,buy Americans

I never ground that 50" chain because I never used it. It must have been factory. On the 880 I used a 9 pin with a 36" bar. The only time that Cannon was on saws of mine was for a picture.
I am pretty anal about my chains, no beaks or half moons for me.

if it was new i think i know what he is looking at. depending on the brand i've seen where you look at the side plate from the out side the side plate looks like they ground a little side beak and there is a little beak down toward the gullet on the side plate. if that makes sense. i've only seen it on some oregon and husky branded chain. almost look's like a notch in the sideplate. these are of stihl and oregon. which don't have that like i've seen.
attachment.php
. the chains with that factory grind cut good but don't last long.

if it was new i think i know what he is looking at. depending on the brand i've seen where you look at the side plate from the out side the side plate looks like they ground a little side beak and there is a little beak down toward the gullet on the side plate. if that makes sense. i've only seen it on some oregon and husky branded chain. almost look's like a notch in the sideplate. these are of stihl and oregon. which don't have that like i've seen. the chains with that factory grind cut good but don't last long.

That "side beak" is more pronounced on new Oregon chain I think. It comes from when they initially grind the cutter square. I've never found new out-of-the box chain to be all that sharp, but the old-school Carlton (manufactured up until around 1997) was the sharpest out of the box. These days it's Stihl. I grind all new chain I use for log cutting.

That "side beak" is more pronounced on new Oregon chain I think. It comes from when they initially grind the cutter square. I've never found new out-of-the box chain to be all that sharp, but the old-school Carlton (manufactured up until around 1997) was the sharpest out of the box. These days it's Stihl. I grind all new chain I use for log cutting.

your rite on that , i had to root around for the untouched stuff for the pic.

Latest posts

Back