Silvey Grinders may be going out of business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is almost no difference between the Simington 450 and the original Silvey swing arm. They even had the same Dayton motor.

The main difference was how the knob was made that held the chain holder on.

Simington 450
attachment.php

Silvey early style swing arm that belongs to me.
attachment.php

Because of this thread . . . I took Brad up on his offer and this arrived today!

attachment.php

I will probably have to wait until warmer weather to get it set up and get familiar with it. I want to 'play' with square grinds on smaller (.325, 3/8 low profile) chains. If I find anything interesting, I will start a thread on it.

(P.S. - if anyone is planning on going to the Iowa GTG and passes by Brad's house in Ohio, please let me know - there is still a stand that was too heavy to ship!)

Philbert
How's that work with two stones on it at the same time?;)

Sinington Grinders

Yes they still are in buisness, asked them if they made a regular round chisel or semi- chisel chain grinder. which they don't. You just don't see square chisel chain in my area.

Good News!

I had written Silvey a letter asking about parts for my new-to-me grinder and got a call today from 'Jim'.

He said that parts are still available through Madsens.

He also said that it was not certain that they would be going out of business. They are not producing grinders right now, which takes a lot of start up time, but they are not selling off the equipment or the business, and nothing is final.

So, if you really want a new Silvey grinder, or really want to see them stay in business, this might be a good time to send them a letter telling them which models you like, which ones you would want to buy, and why they need to keep going!

Philbert

Silveys or not!

I had written Silvey a letter asking about parts for my new-to-me grinder and got a call today from 'Jim'.

He said that parts are still available through Madsens.

He also said that it was not certain that they would be going out of business. They are not producing grinders right now, which takes a lot of start up time, but they are not selling off the equipment or the business, and nothing is final.

So, if you really want a new Silvey grinder, or really want to see them stay in business, this might be a good time to send them a letter telling them which models you like, which ones you would want to buy, and why they need to keep going!

Philbert

Sounds good, but I wish they could make one unit that does Square&Round chains!

I gather from these threads that Silvey used up all their castings and due to low volume have not ordered anymore.

They have to order the castings in a large enough lot that it would take more than a year to sell off the grinders.

This would explain the long lead time for for start up as all the materials will have to be ordered in to make the grinders.

Meanwhile Madsens or possibly Bailey's should be able to handle your needs?

Sounds good, but I wish they could make one unit that does Square&Round chains!

Any of the swing arm grinders will grind both square and round. You just have to dress the wheel for whatever shape you want. Two wheels are best, keep one dressed for round and the other for square. Swap as needed.

Any of the swing arm grinders will grind both square and round. You just have to dress the wheel for whatever shape you want. Two wheels are best, keep one dressed for round and the other for square. Swap as needed.

hmmm .. did not know that ... will have to try that sometime with my Simington 450 swingarm. but each wheel change needs dressing to true back up. does not sound like a casual swap ... besides, got a Silvey grinder for round chains

good to hear Silvey may be staying in business and/or someone purchased the rights and are continuing that direction. that's just what happens when original owners and/or relatives gets too old to continue and cannot find someone to take over business.

"The Silvey Chaingrinder site is closing permanently on Dec 1 2015.

If you own or use any Silvey products, you may want to download and save the user manuals and diagrams below.

We regret any inconvenience and thank our customers for their loyalty and support over the years."

Philbert

"The Silvey Chaingrinder site is closing permanently on Dec 1 2015.

If you own or use any Silvey products, you may want to download and save the user manuals and diagrams below.

We regret any inconvenience and thank our customers for their loyalty and support over the years."

Philbert

I saw that last week when I tried to see if there had been any activity

The next question is who stocks the Simington

The next question is who stocks the Simington
My 'next question' is why is nobody buying the rights to the Silvey name, designs, patents (if any are still enforceable), parts inventory, support business, etc., and re-establishing the company?

Bailey's? Madsens? Blount? etc.?

Seems to be a market - maybe product liability concerns on reversible grinder designs?

Philbert

This just makes the used ones out there more valuable to those that own them.

Madsens got the parts over a year ago.

I was told they would rather go out of business than go overseas for manufacturing. Said they couldn't compete price wise and make them here

Madsens got the parts over a year ago.

I was told they would rather go out of business than go overseas for manufacturing. Said they couldn't compete price wise and make them here
When I was down at Silvey almost two years ago the owner told me he was ready to retire was the main thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

About 32MB to download all of the manuals and exploded diagrams on their website, if you care to archive them.

(Although, somehow, 'exploded view' does not sound right with grinding wheels and hydraulic pumps . . . . )

Philbert

Latest posts

Back