Silvey Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I think I'm finally gonna break down and purchase a new Silvey square grinder.I'am looking into either a Swing Arm or a Razur Sharp II..For you who have one of these what are the pro's an con's of each machine??I can get each of them from Baileys one for $590 and the other for $700..Just looking to get some opinions before I throw down the cash.Thanks a ton fellas

Rob.

That pcture was taken outside of Lewistown Montana, My friend moved out there from NJ years ago and works for the dept of AG.

We ran 3 good cats that week but none were in the Pope and young class so I went home empty handed. I am going back out again this season.

Rob, check your e-mail. I bought the RSII based on the advice of the guy who`s address I gave you. Picked up the swingarm I have on the cheap but it`s not for sale. You can also call Silvey at (541)734-4118.

Russ

Wak110, that`s a 510 or 600 round chain grinder, very nice machine. Only problem(aside from whether it runs or not) is that it is set up for "pond and deck" chain, You would need a new vise, grinding wheel, and wheel profiler, but it looks like it`s priced right. Hope somebody can jump on it. I don`t need it sitting next to my two 510s. :rolleyes:

Russ

Hey Russ,

Thanks I appreciate your help I will email him on Monday morning to see what he thinks I should go with,more than likely it will be the Razur Sharp II.I'll keep you posted as to what happens thanks again.

Rob.

I should have Meltzers RSII by tues, Maybe this will give me the kick in the ass to use the one still in the box from jeff I bought a year ago. Steve sold the one he bought from Ken Dunn.

The bonus is it will be set up so a Putz like me can use it.

Mark,

Good luck with your new setup toy...I'm sure you will love it,I can't wait till I get one and finally use it..I'm sick of round filing :rolleyes:

Rob.

Rob: You may get sick of swapping chains and dinking with the grinder setup too after the novelty wears off. Sure is nice to be able to just set the saw on a stump and tickle it happy again. Don't throw out all your round files just yet. It hurts toooo much when you rock out a square filed chain!

Frank

Hey Frank,

Dont you worry I dont plan on giving up just yet on round filing I'am pretty good at it,I just like the smoothness and speed of square ground..I do agree swapping chains does get old but I can do that faster than filing so I guess it all works out in the end :D I still plan on round filing just want to do both I guess :rolleyes: Thanks for the advise

Rob.

Steve here...
'ol Ken thought I sold my Razur sharp II to Marky Mark, because I gave up grinding chain or my wife made me sell it or....

I bought an old Simington like KD's

Steve

Rob, please no whinning...lol

simington chain grinder

Rob,
I've owned and used both the razor11 and the simington swing arm model also. they both do a great job once you get the angles on the stone correct. I like the simington better because you have better control on where you put the point on the tooth. especially if the chain has slightly different length teeth. with just a little upward or downward pressure where you hold the end of the arm you can adjust for different lengths and get the point exactly in the corner. if you grind the chain right , stone the edge properly and set your rakers right for the power of your powerhead you'll cut some fast times.
ken

Steve,

are you trying to make me cry :D Man I wish I got to you before Mark but thats the way it is I guess..

Ken,

Is the Simington swingarm similar to Silveys version of the swingarm ??Thanks for the information you gave thats always very helpful,how difficult is it to get the correct angles ground into the stone?Hopefully when I do get the grinder I can get one of you chain guru's to help me out with some advice on angles etc..Well thanks again

Rob.

Back