• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Silvey Round Ground Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Promac555

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The local Stihl Dealer here went bankrupt last spring and they were the only place in my area to get chainsaw chains sharpened.

So that got me thinking. They were charging $10/chain - off the saw and $15/chain - on the saw. Which I thought was high because I can sharpen and set the rakers on a chain in 10 minutes with my 1974 Bell Industries K245 grinder.

Stop laughing - he had a line out the door of folks plunking down their money for a 18 year old kid to butcher their chains !!

Anyway - WHO NEEDS CASH AND CAN PART WITH A SILVEY 300 OR 500 THAT WORKS AS IT SHOULD and is in decent shape that I can use to start a chain sharpening business? Bonus points for xtra (non-pink) 8 inch wheels.

p.s. All their inventory and shop equipment was sold - out of state - at auction so I can't get his grinders.
p.p.s. He made money sharpening chains but - for some years - nobody has been buying pro-level Stihl equipment here. Thanks for reading... Stuart

This what your looking for?:happybanana:

When I bought mine, I posted an ad offering a couple more Silvey 510's that were NIB. No interest,o_O it takes money to buy whiskey.:wtf:

10n5f7k.jpg

hx64y0.jpg

whxndk.jpg

This what your looking for?:happybanana:

Thanks for the quick reply and first I have a question.

Do Silvey 510's have "click stops" for all the popular top plate filing angles? If so - is 10 degrees - one of the "lockable" angles? (My sawmill ripping chains have 10 degree top plate angles - that's why I asked.)

Is this one of your NIB units? If so - what are you asking for it?

Thanks - Stuart Herder

When I bought mine, I posted an ad offering a couple more Silvey 510's that were NIB. No interest,o_O it takes money to buy whiskey.:wtf:

10n5f7k.jpg

hx64y0.jpg

whxndk.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply and first I have a question.

Do Silvey 510's have "click stops" for all the popular top plate filing angles? If so - is 10 degrees - one of the "lockable" angles? (My sawmill ripping chains have 10 degree top plate angles - that's why I asked.)

The vise just turns and there is a degree wheel inscribed. You can set the set screws to a given angle if you want. It's very easy to change from right to left and the motor is reversible.

Is this one of your NIB units? If so - what are you asking for it?

Mine was one of the NIB's. The price is "unobtainium."

My set up is the Silvey for 3/8ths, Oregon 511AX for .325 and the Nielsen 100B for depth gauges. The Nielsen is really nice for rakers.

Thanks - Stuart Herder

Good luck on the silvey hunt. I've been looking for a 510/600 for 2.5 years now. Some guys live in the part of the country where they are easier to find. I even offered up my RSII in trade for one and no bites. Sold the RS2 for nearly $1k Finally ran into an old shop that had 2x 300's in the cupboard that I picked up for a song and dance. Shaun made a couple adapters for the price of one of the 300's. They both use Oregon 511/511ax wheels now. [emoji4]

Long story short... Don't hold your breath.
Still looking for a 510/600...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck on the silvey hunt. I've been looking for a 510/600 for 2.5 years now. Some guys live in the part of the country where they are easier to find. I even offered up my RSII in trade for one and no bites.

Didn't I offer to buy your RSII??????????:angry:

Didn't I offer to buy your RSII??????????:angry:
The final bill was $970 to it's new owner. I was taking bids via PM's.

It was listed in the trading post for the better part of 3-4 weeks.

Back