• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Simington chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy26

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi fellas, I picked up this simington 450 with stand awhile back and need some help with wiring it the motor to the toggle switch. The wiring diagram the guy sent me doesn't seem to be working. The light comes on and it spins clockwise in direction. When I turn it off and switch to turn the other direction it pops my breaker on the wall and doesn't spin. Also 2 poles on my switch were soldered together. If anyone can help me with wiring pictures or see what I'm doing wrong Let me know. I'll get pictures up later today of the switch and wiring. Thanks everyone

You have to make sure the clockwise, and counter clockwise wires switch position, as should be labeled on the wiring diagram of the motor...if it’s still on there. The pics I sent you should work, as long as the switch is the same configuration, and orientation. If not, then i could likely draw it out for you.

You have to make sure the clockwise, and counter clockwise wires switch position, as should be labeled on the wiring diagram of the motor...if it’s still on there. The pics I sent you should work, as long as the switch is the same configuration, and orientation. If not, then i could likely draw it out for you.
Here's pics of my switch that Simington said would work.20201106_101942.jpg notice two of the poles are soldered together. 20201106_095030.jpgwiring diagram they sent me. When I wire it this way it only works in one direction with the light.

Not knowing what the internal switching looks like, this is going to be tough,
The red and black leads in the area of the light likely determine forward and reverse motor rotation.
I'd disconnect the red and black leads from the switch to the motor and power up the grinder then try both switch directions and see if your breaker trips.
I suspect it will, which will confirm that it is a power side switch wiring issue.
The single spade connector near the straight bar bridging the two contacts is the main motor power feed. With switch in the middle position, no power is available to the motor, but with either direction selected motor power is available.
The hand drawn schematic isn't symmetrical on the motor connections. The lower connection group has an uncommitted terminal which is different the one above it.

Back