Simington Grinder Thread - LARGE PICS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's been a year, but has the grinder worked out? Used ones seem real hard to come by.

Yeah they did go up. I can't remember if they're cheaper at Madsens or fro Simington.

I have a question for the people that use a Simington Grinder. If I ordered one of these grinders, is there any thing else I should get with it? I know I will need a few grinding wheels, but things like an extra diamond dresser or chain stop? I have never used any type of chian grinder or even been around one. Last year, I picked up two loops of Oregon factory square ground when I got my 7910 back from Mr. Evans. All I can say is a ported saw puts a big smile on my face but a ported saw and square ground chain puts a bigger smile on, when blocking clean fire wood.
Thanks Desmond Doyle

I have a question for the people that use a Simington Grinder. If I ordered one of these grinders, is there any thing else I should get with it? I know I will need a few grinding wheels, but things like an extra diamond dresser or chain stop? I have never used any type of chian grinder or even been around one. Last year, I picked up two loops of Oregon factory square ground when I got my 7910 back from Mr. Evans. All I can say is a ported saw puts a big smile on my face but a ported saw and square ground chain puts a bigger smile on, when blocking clean fire wood.
Thanks Desmond Doyle

I have an extra diamond dresser, but I wouldn't say it's a necessity (& they're expensive). I'd say stock up on wheels more that anything. . . They are the biggest consumable on a grinder.

I have a 1978 Silvey Swing arm and it has most of the original parts including the original dressors.
A couple years ago I put new swing arm bearings, new fasteners, springs, and someone had replaced the cord just before I got it.
Naturally, there's been a few wheels on it.

So just get the grinder and a couple extra wheels

You had better bone up on your need for and interest in swing arm grinders for Kelly Peile at Simington will run you through the mill with questions before he will sell you a new one.
http://simingtonchaingrinder.com/how-to-videos/

I know this is an old thread. the question was asked how to fix the gap between the wheel and the chain guide from side to side. The answer is to shim the motor on the side that is tight. there are instructions on madsens website i think. if you lower the arm and move the chain holder all the way back. swing the arm up under the wheel until it just touches put a mark on the stone with a pencil and swing it to the other side and spin the mark around and measure with feeler guages the gap. you then have to shim between the front and back motor mount spacers half the amount of the gap distance tighten the bolts down to snug and measure it all again until it is within a thousant from side to side. so that your cutters profile are the same on both sides. if you leave the gap your chain will not have the same shape tooth on both sides and probably tend to cut a little crooked

Back