Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Simon, you have a very large audience here. This being the largest chainsaw site and all. I'll also bet most of these folks make more money than most fallers and are just as crazy about saws and probably own more saws. Looks to me like you'd want to works with this crowd a bit. At least some prof that they'll get their saw back after sending it and money.
Maybe so, fallers in BC make about $120k a year. I have been screwed financially on this site but it is trivial. You guys have a good night, tty tomorrow, have to finish making some new tools on the lathe. Cheers.

Maybe so, fallers in BC make about $120k a year. I have been screwed financially on this site but it is trivial. You guys have a good night, tty tomorrow, have to finish making some new tools on the lathe. Cheers.
I could be wrong about the average salary here, but there's more warm bodies here than fallers in the PNW woods. :msp_biggrin:

since you all asked my opinion, I'll tell you : ) Firstly, the OP being a sponsor absolutely has the right to advertise his services for hire and ask for whatever hwe wants. He's not forcing anyone to use his services, This is what I find confusing however. Without some sort of transparency he's not likely to get many customers here. That being said, and the amount of saws he claims to have done in the past, what is his reason for posting and sponsoring here?

If you are in the market of modding saws for fallers....you're in the wrong place. Most folks on here have never heard of the people I deal with. And that's a good thing. Word of mouth is your best friend when modding saws for people who saw for a living.

Best of luck...and for God's sake....don't post a video...the site might explode...lol

I believe we have spoke before and go to the same place for service when needed and I would agree no one here has ever heard of the place and they have a bunch of saws in the woods.

One thing to remember..

Simon has been through this before. More than once. Not much has changed.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/31293.htm As you can see, Simon has been called out by some very savvy saw people.

Simon is very articulate. Very glib. He can respond to your questions and challenges without ever really saying anything of substance. He'll deflect any ideas critical of his own without really showing how his ideas are better.

We're supposed to just take him on faith. My saws don't run on faith.

I like Tlandrum's idea. Simon can send a saw of his choosing to any one of us who makes a living with saws. We'll run it for a full season in real world conditions. We won't baby it but we won't abuse it, either. At the end of a year or a season we'll give it an honest evaluation and, if we like it, we'll be more than glad to say so. Publicly.

How 'bout it Simon? You can talk it. Can your saws?

Last edited:
gologit id run one for a season and if it stacks up ill send payment for said saw and will give everyone the lowdown. if his saws are what he says they are it would be a sure sale.if not well ,not

Seems to me if you have to PAY CUSTOMS to handle a saw TWICE, the saws would need to be superior to anything available in the lower 48.

That seems to be a little on the high side. I have a couple buddies working on the islands up there. Last year, they had months where they were only able to work five days out of a possible 24.

You are in BC and have never run one of my saws? Seriously? Or are you just yanking my chain? lol.

No I have not run any of your saws Simon. I have heard of you many times, but I don't know anyone that has run one of yours.

Your here a sponsor, looking for work, if you didn't need the work from anyone here, then you wouldn't be a paying sponsor here. We are not asking much of you at all I think. I've looked back at most of your threads throughout the years, and they are all the same, you dance around all the tough questions like a well seasoned Lawyer. I don't think I'm wrong in saying that you will not get any work from here if you keep going with your usual ways.

All I will say is Simon stepped up in a big way. I'm going to work out the details tomorrow. It looks like a 460 will be heading north.
If it happens the results will be totally objective. The saws performance will be well documented before it leaves.

I don't know what more could be asked of a guy. I will say that he is willing to do what he says he will do.

That seems to be a little on the high side. I have a couple buddies working on the islands up there. Last year, they had months where they were only able to work five days out of a possible 24.

That sounds about right to me. I've never heard of fallers making $120k a year around here, the work has been real slow.

All I will say is Simon stepped up in a big way. I'm going to work out the details tomorrow. It looks like a 460 will be heading north.
If it happens the results will be totally objective. The saws performance will be well documented before it leaves.

I don't know what more could be asked of a guy. I will say that he is willing to do what he says he will do.

I hope it works out for the good bud. I myself, would like to see what a "Simonized" saw is all about. I wonder why it's so hard to post a vid so we can see the work?

I won't say anything about the guy because I don't know anything about him. I just want to get the lowdown on his work.

Indiansprings: Keep us posted.

Anthony, all I want to do is give Simon a fair shot to prove that his saws improve the performance over factory saws. I want to remain objective and report and results in a totally unbiased manner.
With the type of work we do, it won't take long to determine if the saw will increase productivity. I'm not looking for his work to be a GTG screamer for cant cutting, but a saw with a bottom end in it that can be pushed hard in seasoned oak and hickory, green hedge and the like. I've got a cousin that is a 3rd gen logger, I'll let him use it for a few days in comparison with his stock 660's in both falling and bucking up big wood, both oak and walnut. He doesn't even know what AS is and has never touched a modded saw. If the results are good, I hope this will put the issue to rest, I've been as tough as anyone on him in prior post. I respect him for stepping up.

I believe we have spoke before and go to the same place for service when needed and I would agree no one here has ever heard of the place and they have a bunch of saws in the woods.

They have a pile of saws in the woods (and I will not reveal their name..don't ask).....word of mouth

Last edited:
The "percentage gains" I have seen posted here are worthless, and more likely to be misleading than informative. Even with a dyno, there would be errors in the estimated gains that would have to be reported.

Videos might be fun to look at, but aren't any more informative. There was a thread awhile back where people were actually voting on which of 2 saws, in different wood, in different parts of the country, at different times of year, was the most powerful.

Anyone who thinks "percent gains" or videos makes their gamble safer is fooling themselves. Great entertainment and good for barroom bets, but that's about it.

I like Simon's style. "Buy it or don't" tells me he knows that videos or botched attempts at math aren't worth the time it takes to generate them. If I was the kind of person who'd pay money to have the work done (instead of being the type of guy with a basement full of unfinished projects), I'd send him one today and see for myself.

Of course, if you'd rather hunt for someone who is willing to blow a little smoke up your ass, I'm guessing you won't have far to look.

THAT would be useful information.

Videos are better than nothing, and so far Simon has given us nothing.:msp_rolleyes:

I have one question for Simoin, with the up most respect to him. Do you or do you not wan to sell you work on the internet? You seem to not care what people here think, and that word of mouth means more than anything. This may very well be true, but why come here if you're selling thousands of saws locally. My guess is you're not. If you want to sell ported work saws by word of mouth that's fine and it's been done before with success, but those that chose to do business in this way, don't advertise as you did in this post. Most advertisements have pics and or video, aka some example of your product.

Again like in the PM I sent you that you never responded to, I have the up most respect for you, but fact is I and most everyone here knows little or nothing about you, I have however ran one of your saws at a gtg "don't remember who's saw it was" but it ran well for a work saw IMHO.:cheers:

Last edited:
Simon, success in business is a difficult thing without advertising, promoting and marketing unless you have the benefit of good word of mouth. So far it shows you have none of these.

If he has both, then ask him. I am not here to prove my saw building acumen. I am here to let fallers know my new prices and waiting times. You seem like a very aggressive bunch. Very sceptical. If you don't want my saws then by all means get them done by someone else. There are many good builders out there.

You call members here aggressive and skeptical. You show to be a reasonably smart fella but have trouble understanding members skepticism. All people are asking for and in your best interests is some evidence in the form of a simple video at least of each model you modify. I have trouble seeing this as aggression or skepticism.

McDonald's is a very popular restaurant, they spend millions of dollars advertising, it does not make their food any more nutricious or appealing. They make millions a day. Does that make them the best place to eat in the world? Every city has a very special high-quality dining area. They make nothing in comparison to Burger-King or KFC. I am about quality, not quantity. If you want the equivalent of a "Whistle-dog and fries" when you want a modded saw, then shop in that area. If you want a person that will not let a saw escape his shop until every detail has been perfected, call me.

Results of good advertising etc wouldn't it be?

You are without a doubt the most diplomatic and intelligent poster on my thread thus far. Cheers, Simon.

Your on a roll Simon, this last quote suggests others are not diplomatic or intelligent! Sorry mate but that's all I've seen from members so far.

From the way you have conducted yourself in this thread, which should have been a promotional thread, there isn't a hope in hell I would deal with you with your lack of professionalism and derogatorily responses for starters.

Who knows, maybe you can make a mean saw. I hate to say it mate, really, but if the saw runs as good as the mouth, your on a winner!

Maybe you should run by the slogan "blind faith"

Last edited:
Well looks like so far simon has proved nothing. I on the other hand seem to have proved just as much as simon about my porting (nothing). Sounds to me like you are no better off sending them to him over sending them to me. I'll just do them for $100 less and still prove nothing :D

I'll chime in a bit here because at this stage of the thread there is no way in hell I would ever contemplate getting a Simonised saw.
Customers do demand proof or evidence of the type of work you do Simon, particularly when you offer no significant advantage at this stage over other builders on this site. Problem is that you've come in bragging about how many work saws you have out there and just how good they are yet not once have you really backed it up.

I also run work saws from another saw builder on this site and couldn't be happier. Without any real, solid input from yourself why would I change and give your saws a shot?

Hiding behind your obviously high IQ and witty (read: sarcastic) remarks will not get you extra customers. Maybe you do build good saws or maybe you're just an over qualified little smart arsed brat who "thinks" he's a good saw builder? We've all seen them before. After all this is the modern age where anybody online can blow their own trumpet about how good they are and never feel that they may have to back up their very own hype with hard facts. Also the fact that you're an engineer means diddley squat when it comes to building saws. Remember that you're "modifying" them, not designing them.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now as I'm "semi" confident you know what you're doing and I'm a long way from Canada to chase up and talk to loggers that are using your saws. I'll let other guys here sort that side of things out but you do need to whack a few videos on here to get some cred, otherwise you're just all talk and that won't get any of my business...

By the way, I ran AUSSIE1's home modified 371XP last year with BB kit that was an absolute weapon. This is a guy that mods saws out of pure enjoyment in his back shed yet does an excellent job. He never even bragged about it, he let me do that for him :) Maybe you could learn something by that?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back