Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? And how do you figure that? .............

Same amount of gas in the tank at same ratio, used faster= more oil/unit of time.

Already explained it.

But hey...it's yer saw try 100:1 and get back to us..

Westboastfaller runs 50:1 and so do I.

Done covered it. Read then you can spout.

Did you think this was the Not-so-Pro discussion? Hahahahahaha.

Same amount of gas in the tank at same ratio, used faster= more oil/unit of time.

Really? You're back on my IGNORE list. Again.

Dang I was on the A-Team and didn't know? Want a staff job?

I know there's probably going to be a lot of competition for the job but I have many years of experience at mumbling, giving different answers to the same question to different people, and avoiding hard work.

Ok, let's all get in line and kiss Brush Apes hairy ass. I'll go first.

Uh??????? OK??????

Simon is a legend.

Westboastfaller runs 50:1 and so do I.

Sick post! Me likey

I have never heard any expert tell me to ignore the manufacturs spec's and use more.
I seen many saws fail due to carbon build up.

Thanks.

wow, ok here is some truth. i have several saws over 20 years old and they are still very good saws..........

Far Out. Join the club.

now brush ape, i am trying to see the value in you but my god it seems like you only like to argue. if you like 50-1 so much then just run it and report back when you think you have 2000 hours on your stuff. and in the mean time let those that like to run richer do so in *piece.*

Was this an oil thread?

*(Peace.)*

Run a saw for 5 years on 32:1 castrol super 2 stroke, then pull top end off, then come and tell me what you think. Tuned rich is the main contributor. Gas/oil mixture don't add much carbon if you are tuned right to begin with and running a clean burning oil. I was on the ledge about which mixture was best for many years and was trying different mixes all the time. When my 390xp blew up i felt good about blaming 50:1. The big end rods in those saws suffer from lack of lubrication and i'm sure many others do to. My 385 is still going strong although it don't have quite the hours my 390 had yet so we'll see. I actually don't know anyone close to me who runs 50:1. I'm not so picky that i won't run 50:1 though. If somebody else is supplying the gas i'll burn it as long as i see them mix it and know what oil they used. When i reringed my 372 last year after over 10 yrs of use i didn't even clean the combustion chamber and it ran 32:1 most of it's life.

Oh yeah Australia dealers recommend running 25:1 in the big saws for both brands. Wonder why?

A+breeding+colony+of+Lord+Howe+Island+Stick+Insects+was+founded+at+Melbourne+Zoo.+AAP.jpg

Lets look at it this way. A dealer is there for what? To make money. To make money he's gotta sell and service saws and whatever else he sells. Heck if he could do it without pissing everyone off he'd probably put an expiry date on the ****'n things. Only guys who truly care about their customers more then their income will tell ways to improve longevity. As long as it makes it past warranty most of them couldn't give a **** less. I've seen new saws fresh from the dealer that didn't 4 stroke at all. Even if a warranty claim comes up more often then not the consumer gets shafted. Happens all the time with warranty on anything. If they can make it out to be your fault they will. I've even seen dealers say " ok this is gonna be a warranty fix" then they report to the manufacturer and the manufacturer deny's the claim. So even if your dealer is a good dealer you still get shafted. It's why i really don't look at warranty as anything special.

wow, ok here is some truth. i have several saws over 20 years old and they are still very good saws. i have been a logger all my life and used 40-1 stihl oil only.
stihl, husky and any other 2 stroke engine will last longer with a slightly richer mix than factory spec. its a fact. exact ratio such as 38-1 or 42-1 is just silly and we all know it but 50-1 is a bit lean and we all know that to.......for any saw imo, not just modded.
now brush ape, i am trying to see the value in you but my god it seems like you only like to argue. if you like 50-1 so much then just run it and report back when you think you have 2000 hours on your stuff. and in the mean time let those that like to run richer do so in piece.
Decent post and by all means we are all welcome to run our OWN saws how we like, nobody's disputing that..are they?
I was somewhat sarcastically asking how operator came to this conclusion to run richer mix..I know a lot of guys do
but a think thats just a feeling they have (more must be safer)
than any kind of concrete study outside the manufacturers specs
I would be willing to bet that most all the people assume that or were mentored to believe that opposed to trending off there
past. Is there someone here that started there career with factory specs and now run richer AND has always used quality oil and found a difference in life time .
I Know Mike mentioned a saw that was blue in a month but again not enough info to build credibility to the 'argument'.
Missing info he was...did he even know the history of that saw
other than where the setting were when he got it and the oprox usage. What kind of oil? was it tweeked for some time?
multiple operators? Running tight chains?
Theese are all valid factors!
As far as 2000+ hours? I will just say lots of Falling companies are Castrol all the way on the coast and on heli we have 55 gallon drums on the camp barge or float camp and 50/1 seems to be good enough for that level of fallers(not to say the odd guy doesn't add a little more?) but if you use a 72 in big wood nobody gets the time out of the bottom end as would one with a 390. I mainly see 390 and 660 now some guys got away from the 372 for that reason. My buddy gets boxes of used 365 from Asplundh ...which have the same crank as the 372 but they are all f***ed and blue more often than not, but they aren't generating a wood load like us.
So the bigger factors is ignorance.
Bad oil, lean and tight chains.
also the other side of the coin pluging of screens dirty filters
causing build ups.
The argument of 40/1 been better doesn't hold merit with me
if I want more cooling I run a high idle and tune for more flow.
Imo..peace

WBF, i will agree with you there that a bigger saw will live longer in big wood than a small saw all things considered.
i have never nor would i run 50-1 so no i cannot give you actual proof that its a bad practice. however, you are right when you say it is what i/we have always done......because it works. i have never had a carbon problem.

Decent post and by all means we are all welcome to run our OWN saws how we like, nobody's disputing that..are they?
I was somewhat sarcastically asking how operator came to this conclusion to run richer mix..I know a lot of guys do
I would be willing to bet that most all the people assume that or were mentored to believe that opposed to trending off there
past. Is there someone here that started there career with factory specs and now run richer AND has always used quality oil and found a difference in life time .
I Know Mike mentioned a saw that was blue in a month but again not enough info to build credibility to the 'argument'.
other than where the setting were when he got it and the oprox usage. What kind of oil? was it tweeked for some time?
As far as 2000+ hours? I will just say lots of Falling companies are Castrol all the way on the coast and on heli we have 55 gallon drums on the camp barge or float camp and 50/1 seems to be good enough for that level of fallers(not to say the odd guy doesn't add a little more?) but if you use a 72 in big wood nobody gets the time out of the bottom end as would one with a 390. I mainly see 390 and 660 now some guys got away from the 372 for that reason. My buddy gets boxes of used 365 from Asplundh ...which have the same crank as the 372 but they are all f***ed and blue more often than not, but they aren't generating a wood load like us.
causing build ups.
Imo..peace
You seem like someone who has no idea wtf you are talking about nor wtf oil in the mix is even for.

causing build ups.
Imo..peace

I got the saw and a runner from a timber caller in Oregon. He was the one that started the falling pics thread in the F&L section. The 390 that lost the big end was ported. Running stihl ultra at 50:1. I got a 365 special that ran fine but the crank was blue at the main bearings. Cylinder was fine and the grime seemed to match that it hadn't been apart for a long time. A long time dealer that is on here recommends running 32:1 in huskies stock or not. He said the lifespan went up on the saws logging hardwoods. That is good enough for me plus tearing into 15-20 saws a year and some are almost dry on the inside on 50:1 with the limiters in place.

LMFAO. Yer alright, Dude. Sorry I stirred the pot. lol. These crowd is a little soft-underbelly sometime. But head like brick wall.

Not me. Rock hard. LMMFAO.

Take care.
Lmao.. It reminds me of that M&M song
"Now.. this.. looks.. like.. a... job for me
So wont everybody... just follow me
We need a little.... controversy
It feels so empty... with out me".
Na-nana- nana....lol
Good times...sick little thread!
BTW...I opened up that can of worms..I believe.

Brush ape, your level of ignorance and stupidity give mentally handicap people every where a bad name. Just f'ing go away.
With 16 posts and joined 5 months ago and the threads he has derailed , I think its only a matter of time before he goes away. :buttkick:

I really love it when new comers pop in with all the answers and more experience than all of the collective experience in this group has. I had also thought about participating in this argument but felt that bringing myself down to the level of some folks stupidity isn't very gainful for myself.

One thing i wanna say though guys is jamie is one heck of a guy. I'm working my way into production falling and he was more then happy to give me an hour of his time over the phone. He knows his **** even if he is a newb to the site. I respect his opinion even if mine is different. It comes to a point when a guy on the level jamie is that he doesn't care so much about his mix then most if us. He expects to replace his saws after a certain time even if they still run where we try get the most out of them. When i'm falling, if company fuel is mixed 50:1 that's what i'll be running cause the saw only needs to run a max of 3 years before i replace it. My personal saws get treated a bit better.

You seem like someone who has no idea wtf you are talking about nor wtf oil in the mix is even for.

Do you have an opinion or trends from elaborate studies or finding to contribute to the content of this discussion?
be nice to here them, keen people learn every day.
But eveyone knows how to toss insults. Show me the money man?

Latest posts

Back