Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much paperwork in that!

His stump cuttin thread got deleted though. :laugh:

It didn't get deleted. He was asked to provide proof of what he claimed and he deleted the thread himself, rather than own up to being a lying sack of ****. He also deleted his flickr account so no one got to see the pics of his handiwork.

I have first hand seen the results of running Amsoil 100:1 in a STOCK 441. Although it had never seized, it had been VERY hot, a LOT. I have also seen the results of running 50:1 in a ported 346 that I built. It didn't seize, but it got real close. I have never seen anything similar when running 32:1. BTW, who's on first, lol:ices_rofl:

It didn't get deleted. He was asked to provide proof of what he claimed and he deleted the thread himself, rather than own up to being a lying sack of ****. He also deleted his flickr account so no one got to see the pics of his handiwork.
Wow, he deleted his own thread... That says a hell of a lot! :laugh:

Do you have an opinion or trends from elaborate studies or finding to contribute to the content of this discussion?
be nice to here them, keen people learn every day.
But eveyone knows how to toss insults. Show me the money man?
I have 50 pounds of blown cranks. Quite a few are from 372s and 385s. All came from fallers I've worked with over the years who rigidly adhered to 50:1. In the 15 years I was in the brush; I ran 371s, 372s, 385s, 288s, 394s, 046/460s, 044/440s, and 066s. I ran 32:1 all that time and never lost a crank. It was just what worked for me.

Do you have an opinion or trends from elaborate studies or finding to contribute to the content of this discussion?
be nice to here them, keen people learn every day.
But eveyone knows how to toss insults. Show me the money man?
No need for me to add to any of this. There are many people here much more intelligent then myself who have explained the principals many times over.

Thanks to Mike, (shane ..wc 90) Brad for the elaborate answers and giving reasoning behind your beliefs on running more oil vs the manufacturers spec's.
You opinions were appreciated, a few other didn't really give reason, but thats cool! opinions are respected on the matter.
- to the rest that don't think that the manufacturor or a guy thats won world comps amoung two other reputable builders
that never suggested it' doesn't make a valid discussion
then I would say to them,insult slingers,and all them pretty virgins......
Thanks for nothing. jk

Jamie, I've explained myself so many times that after a while it begins to seem pointless. And in most cases the person on the other end has made up their mind and won't be reasoned with. Also, I really can't stand that Brush Ape. He's just a troll that should be banned from this site......and has before. Him being in this thread makes me not want to have any sort of discussion.....but I will try to share my thoughts on the matter.

I've been around performance engines my whole life, but two-strokes are relatively new to me actually.......

As engine builders, we add more compression, optimize port timing, streamline flow, etc. All this does is increase the pressure in the combustion chamber. A bigger bang, and more force is transmitted to the bearings. As you know, at higher ratios there is less oil in the mix, less oil for the bearings that we are now adding more stress to.

I don't worry about scoring pistons @ 50:1......it's the bearings that I'm concerned with.

Like JJ said......50:1 kills crankshafts.

Also, higher oil ratios promote better sealing at the rings. Better seal = more power.

I have 50 pounds of blown cranks. Quite a few are from 372s and 385s. All came from fallers I've worked with over the years who rigidly adhered to 50:1. In the 15 years I was in the brush; I ran 371s, 372s, 385s, 288s, 394s, 046/460s, 044/440s, and 066s. I ran 32:1 all that time and never lost a crank. It was just what worked for me.
"if it aint broke dont fix it" (no pun intended)
Lol...Cool now there's something to trend off
Did you guys religiously adhere to quality brands or often a mixed bag?
as that was the guidelines of the discussion that was set forth
in conjunction with..
I have never had a discoloured crank myself ...that I was aware
of. Once the main on the onced Simonized that I did overheat
on **** oil that I rebuilt again and a bent crank on a BB looper
in a 2171....hard kickback?? and a decked and domed 2185
that I believe the base was machined wrong and caused piston
drag. I gave two 372 for that saw and then gave it back to him
and walked away from it, so yeah they do go through my hands pretty quick as westcoaster90 suggested.

Well guys...this has turned into a pretty convincing oil thread. Although it may take awhile for me to see any problems, being that I'm really just a weekend firewood hack, I will be changing my mix to 32:1. Bigger saws get ran harder than limbing saws anyway, just by nature of what they're used for. My 50cc saws are hardly ever buried in big wood, let alone tank after tank of gas. I know quite a lot about 4 strokes, but I've come to trust and respect certain individuals on this site as far as chainsaws. Guess this says who I think wins the argument.

These how much oil threads are fun. This one is different in that the protagonists are advocating 50:1, while the rest of the crew are advising somewhat more oil. Rounder runs 50:1 on modded huskies with no problems, the guys in Jacobs vicinity not so much. It's also gonna depend on the tune of the saw, the wood species, and the cutting style. If you tune leanish, and fight the saw a bunch, you'll need more oil. If u'r tune is "safer" and you can keep a saw working happily in its power band (see a Bitzer video or 2), you likely won't need much extra.

I am taking stick figure art classes on another site,and have a great teacher ,the English may be too much for me at this time,good thing there is site underlines my misspelled words to help out
Your use of the English language is just fine, bubba... Continue with your stick figure classes and you'll be OK... ;)

Back