skidding my own headache...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firmwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to fell and skid ALOT of popular off my own property. hundreds.

the local mill wants them 8,6 or 10,6, i'm going 8.6 in length becuase a friends trailer 53' with 9' spreads will accept them easily. (his headache, not mine), and no smaller then 10" at the small end.

for the species at hand, i was going to try and stay above 16", i want something to cut later, i might go bigger depending what's out there. i need to take a weekend, the little 4x4 chevy tracker, (has heat) and beer, and mark/total what i got.

i planned to fell them in a direction that's reasonable (not smash any decent hardwood youngins, etc), fell, cut to lenght, top/trim, drag out to a landing.

i have an old 73 4x4 1ton SRW with a very shortened frame using a lift boom and 250ft of 3/8" winch lead (all hydraulic, no harbor freight electric stuff here) sitting on terribly bald 16's with angry chains all the way around with posi rearends.,if there's any nasty spots i do have an old 9ton A/C t-12 (with a mocked in '68 318 chrysler) with chains, but it's just clumsy in all honesty....

in log form, what's the most accurate way to take sticks and total the gatherings?

they're paying $125 a cord, i'm assuming log cord, which is different then a split and stacked cord?

if anyone can give me some pointers to not get fawked on this, i appreciate it.

thanks.

ohio.

i'm with an absolute no rush, and the truck i'm using runs a route empty return where im located.

so i'll be basically paying fuel and driver time and a small percentage of interest, and the owner of the business is breaking even on his books with a fuzz remaining, whos been given some hunting rights.

its all coming out of the wash even.

killing all this large popular, which is already falling over with wind, needs to be thinned, and it'll open up all the healthy stuff. this lot was basically destroyed with sloppy skidder work many years ago.

the idea was drag them out as long as possible, with no regard of anything else around, and lots of traction.

First, if they take down to what was it 12"

Then do your best to send everything down to 13, you'll have plenty of left overs for firewood.

Second consider a faster skidding machine, time on the ground degrades logs, quickly I might add

Third, they are likely scaling a cord in log form, so simple 4x4x8'

Forth. You will need a way to stack or push logs into a pile, BEFORE the truck arrives.

Fifth, how are the logs getting loaded? Self loading truck or?

Back