ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Skidding winch for the tractor

dancan

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
Website
none.com
I drove the tractor in the bush to go get a dead standing maple this afternoon .

Heavy lean pointed away and the butt was down a 15' embankment so I did't want to drop it in the direction of the lean so a redirect was in order .

I forgot a snatch block so I improvised

I was able to get the top to land up the bank then a rehitch and up to the tractor .

morewood

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
Sorry I haven't kept up with the thread. Life and such. I'm still in the same area as pics from 2 years ago. I've replaced the cable( pics somewhere) and just last week bought a 100' extension......its a long way down some holes. This first pic is one of my recent purchases. Igland self releasing pulley. This is an awesome tool. IMG_20191111_151654544.jpg IMG_20191111_152934358.jpg
This pic was taken from the road side down to my son( he's bigger now, and much stronger....3-0 at the start of wrestling season, proud dad). He is about 200'-225' down. We still have a load of wood to pull out from down there.

Shea

morewood

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
IMG_20191111_152412126.jpg
This is his dirty method of getting the cable back down to hook up to the extension. Yes, it could be unsafe. I have noticed that the cable spools much better on long pulls, making it easier to un-spool.

Shea

morewood

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
0627191019.jpg 0627191415.jpg

The top pic is from another area, same road. That pile was much larger when we finished. Smaller but decent logs in quantity. Bottom pic, field expedient fix.

Shea

morewood

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
1117181054.jpg 1121181024.jpg 1121181058.jpg
I thought it was a simple pinch and tried to pull it out.....nope. The next two pics show it. The cage was wrapped with a loop of cable, pinched, looped over itself, etc. I ended up pulling the whole thing out of the winch and cutting the cable off the spool.

Shea

Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
I thought it was a simple pinch and tried to pull it out.....nope. The next two pics show it. The cage was wrapped with a loop of cable, pinched, looped over itself, etc. I ended up pulling the whole thing out of the winch and cutting the cable off the spool.

Shea
Well, that was a bummer!! Glad you got it figured out and up and running again... While you are at it, it looks like it wouldn't hurt to lube that chain a bit.

I'm still on my original cable on mine, and it looks like it will go a while yet...

SR

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Well, that was a bummer!! Glad you got it figured out and up and running again... While you are at it, it looks like it wouldn't hurt to lube that chain a bit.

I'm still on my original cable on mine, and it looks like it will go a while yet...

SR
If all you do with it is pull deer out it should last a while lol.
I'll be in Sparta in a bit :hi:.
I noticed the chain too. The chain on mine was exactly the opposite, it was covered in dirty grease and dirt, thats also what ruined the clutch on mine.

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Those factory winches make me a little jealous, but then I sometimes use my homemade set up a little differently.

Cutting on the other side of a fence - can't skid.

Lifting over the fence.

Loading an oversize section.

More conventional use - skidding Ash up a power line ROW.

Having a youngster to run the cable back down the hill would be the next best addition. My cutting partner and I, while even taking turns, wear ourselves out.

Ron

morewood

morewood

ArboristSite Guru

SR
I did lightly lube the chain when I got it back together. The cable was still decent, until I cut it to get it off the spool. Long pulls keep it spooled up tightly and evenly now.

Shea

Still the best tool I've bought for woods work.

dancan

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
Website
none.com
I just did the clutch shoes on my new to me Igland 4001 because they were worn out .
The parts guy said that the old fellas and liberal amounts of oil on the chain were a clutch killer Lol

agvg

ArboristSite Operative
I do believe the instructions for oiling the chain is to let it soak for some time and then hang it a day or two to drip off.

Sent fra min Nokia 7.1 via Tapatalk