Skidding Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi All,

My name is Lee. I'm new to this site. I've been lurking for awhile and I've finally decided to post.

I was wondering which skidding winch to buy. I'm looking at the Norse 350 or Uniforest 35M. Do any of you have experience with these? I will be using it to pull up about 100 ash trees that are below a 20 ft elevation embankment that's about 45 degrees. I would like to be able to winch them up rather than pull them. The tractor could remain mostly stationary. I would skid them to a landing below the embankment then move tractor to the top and winch them up. Does that sound like a good plan?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Lee

can't say one way or da other on the skidding winch, but go with the better dealer support if you can, barring that get a close look at the quality, welds, paint etc.

as for your yarding plan, if your planning on yarding to any fixed point, it would pay to get some lift and hand a block in a tree, higher the better, other then that don't get hung up on any one plan, the logs will go only where they will let you. if it don't come easy, forcing it isn't the solution.

I haven't heard a bad word about either of those winches. I have a Farmi 351. It's on a 6000# Kubota. I bought it used and wished at the time that it was the bigger 501. I was wrong though, the 351 has plenty of pull. It'll yank that Kubota right around if you're not careful.

Thanks for the replies. Good point about hanging the block in the tree. The only dealer that is somewhat close is the Hud-son/Uniforest dealer. They're about 2 hours away. Won't be able to check it out for a month with "Safer at Home" here in Wisconsin. Thanks again for the tips.

Stay safe,
Lee

I bought a new Wallenstein 120 and think it is very well made. It'll drag my 65 horse Deutz 4x4 backwards in a hard pull. I also got a self releasing snatch block but haven't had a chance to use it yet; too much mud.

I use a Tajfun EGV45A with a Kubota MX5800. It's been a great winch. I bought it after seeing my neighbor use his. Digs in good and pulls great.

I use a Tajfun EGV45A with a Kubota MX5800. It's been a great winch. I bought it after seeing my neighbor use his. Digs in good and pulls great.
if you get a chance would like to talk i'm about to buy tajfunegv45a winch also looking at farnsgard 1400 or a sundown gr40 grapplers not sure which grappler thanks

Back