"Skinned" some rounds today....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up 6 or 7 big rounds today that had been cut down 1-1/2 yrs. ago. Took a chance that the wood would still be good. Man, that bark just fell off!

Shari

skinned.jpg

Cool Shari! I've never seen bark stay together that well before. What flavor of wood do you have there? Of course, I usually split mine right after cutting, and the bark stays on until I move it into the house after it drys.

Yup, it's Maple. Two nice young men loaded in the trailer for me and I just rolled it off - that's when the bark came loose. With rounds this big it was just as well that it had been cut for some time as it was not too heavy for me to lift up to the splitter - but bear in mind my splitter beam is only about 12" above ground level! :) Really didn't have to lift it much as I had a small piece of wood that worked like a mini-ramp so all I had to do is roll them off the trailer, roll up the mini-ramp, slight lift and balance the round with one leg while reaching for the lever to run the splitter. This would have made a "America's Funniest Home Video" doing this all myself with the contortions I had to go through to get it split! :) Hubby's been back in the hospital twice since 10/31 so splitting/stacking/tarping is a one-woman-show around here right now. The wood is good (not punky) but will be for 2010-11.

Shari

Back