Skinning palm tree this minute.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never though about using snips like that. I always use a carpet knife or a box cutter, but I also get them a little cleaner. Thats not saying those aren't right, just different.
I think skinning palms is the worse job there is and always bid so high in hopes we don't get the job. I start from the top down and peel them tell they won't peel no more then cut close to the trunk as possible tell each piece comes off. Normally theres just a little strip holding that needs to be cut. That is why a curve blade carpet knife works so good. When were done all you can see is trunk. But its a pain. Interesting method you've developed. Beastmaster

[attach=config]187708[/attach][img]

Im thinking to get my good climbers to do this, i better put them in these.

[attach=config]187708[/attach][img]

Im thinking to get my good climbers to do this, i better put them in these.

I've never tried that, and I don't think I ever want to :rock:

My two least favourite jobs are both palms; phoenix palm cleanups/removals and washingtonia/cabbange palms, especially if they've got a big skirt.

If it wont come off with a 200t of a good hard yank, then it stays on the tree ;-) I do lattice the fronds, but only if thats what was done before. I hate it when I get there and someone has left massive stubs up the tree from the old fronds... generally they've done it all from the ground and now I have to climb it and that means recutting all the stubs because my lanyard just cant get through all the spikes :(

Shaun

skinning a palm, or de booting!

Here in Florida the most common way of de booting or skinning palms involves the use of a sharp Flat rounded shovel. Working from under the boot and pushing the blade of the shovel against the trunk in a back and forth action will usually provide the end user good results, "the sharper the shovel edge the better the results"
Happy de booting!
elg

skinning

In Vegas everyone wants it done but nobody wants to pay for it. The only job I ever got skinning palms was such a pain in the ass I bid high so I don't get anymore. The illegals here are too cheap to compete with. Funny thing, I ask fifteen bucks a foot only to find out that's going rate. Like I said, nobody wants to pay for it.

View attachment 187621

What else works for this job?

The way it works here is everybody bids super hihg hoping they won't have to do it ,HOs don't want to pay it and just wait 10-12 years and they finally shed themselves.

I agree with imagineero. ms 200 or they stay.
Works for me.

I'm not a tree hater ,but palms aren't trees,they're #### sticks.

here in broward county we hardly find HO that pay for there palm to be trimed moreless skinned

skinning

Used a razor knife and a "woodman's pal" style machete. The razor knife was easier, more effective and left a cleaner tree. It really does look nice when it's well done but it's so labor intensive it's just not worth it. I've been thinking of designing some kind of apparatus to make it easier but... well, that's just dreaming, ain't it? Also, the sun here in Las Vegas really does a job on the trunks after a few years. I've seen them painted brown - but the most effective and best looking way I've seen of preserving the trunks (they turn grayish) was a guy using cooking oil. It made the tree look great. I still hate doing it, though. I had six to do on a single job and don't think I broke ten dollars an hour when all was said and done. I definitely underbid - didn't expect it to be as difficult as it was. I'm sure that with experience you can get quite fast but screw that!

Used a razor knife. I definitely underbid - didn't expect it to be as difficult as it was. I'm sure that with experience you can get quite fast but screw that!

When I did it, it was worth it.
When I did it it, I had spikes on and carrying two carpet knives that I used that were tied thru the hole in the handle and loop around my wrist , ( with extra in the truck), and could do ten feet (washingtonia robusta),in about 20 minutes. At ten bucks a foot, not bad, although the clean-up can take longer than the skinning.
This practice is not good for the tree and I can't wait until standards change on this.
Anyway, I used a linesman strap with a wrap and spiked them. I agree now the cost goes up in the modern age and spiking the palm--arg!
You can SRT to trim it but if you have to come down and start skinning, that is a job and needs to be explained to the customer.
You also have to know when to stop skinning even if the customer wants more.
Again, the clean-up is time consuming, your groundies gonna be busy long after the climber is done.
Jeff :)

When I did it, it was worth it.
When I did it it, I had spikes on and carrying two carpet knives that I used that were tied thru the hole in the handle and loop around my wrist , ( with extra in the truck), and could do ten feet (washingtonia robusta),in about 20 minutes. At ten bucks a foot, not bad, although the clean-up can take longer than the skinning.
This practice is not good for the tree and I can't wait until standards change on this.
Anyway, I used a linesman strap with a wrap and spiked them. I agree now the cost goes up in the modern age and spiking the palm--arg!
You can SRT to trim it but if you have to come down and start skinning, that is a job and needs to be explained to the customer.
You also have to know when to stop skinning even if the customer wants more.
Again, the clean-up is time consuming, your groundies gonna be busy long after the climber is done.
Jeff :)

You make it sound easy. 10 ft/20 min??? IIIIIIIIII don't know. I suppose I'll try the carpet knife next time, and see if I can beat your time. Aaaaaaand, I can.

How far up do you stop skinning and why?

ur not kidding

In Vegas everyone wants it done but nobody wants to pay for it. The only job I ever got skinning palms was such a pain in the ass I bid high so I don't get anymore. The illegals here are too cheap to compete with. Funny thing, I ask fifteen bucks a foot only to find out that's going rate. Like I said, nobody wants to pay for it.

No matter what we do the illegals will try and take are business one company with an illegal crew got shut down do to a fall u can't insure or bond an illegal keep up the hard work sir

Latest posts

Back